Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

We upgraded my iMac to El Capitan and now my CanoScan 5600F,

Customer Question

We upgraded my iMac to El Capitan and now my CanoScan 5600F, admittedly quite old, will not scan on Basic Mode or Advanced Mode. It will scan on Auto scan mode but then one has to wait until it makes a copy 1/1 because it has been cropped or some such nonsense, even if it is smaller than A4. It then makes a file from a document but it is of course quite low res by comparison. I use my Cancan to scan old book covers and us them in artworks. The file size I used to get is just fine and my colours turned out fine too. My son upgraded my drivers on the CanoScan but it will not function. The error message I get is:
Could not complete the Import Command because of a problem with the acquisition module interface. Thanks Lyn. I see there are CS5600F on the market but are these more recent models. I think I bought mine in about 2005 or a bit earlier. My son also thought that my CS3 Photoshop might be too old but I just don't need any new tricks in Photoshop.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your son may not have updated the drivers properly. Canon has indeed released drivers, and software, for your current version of MAC OS X (El Capitan or version 10.11).

Would you be willing to follow my instructions as to properly doing the task of substituting your currently installed drivers for the scanner, for unquestionably updated and appropriate drivers? this is not a process that can necessarily be done properly in a casual fashion, in a case like yours where an update to the MAC OS operating system level has caused disruption of device function. Such a case deserves exact and detailed instructions, which I will give you, if you will follow them.

Let me know, please. Thanks.