VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I have a MX870 with a jammed torn paper behind the ink

Customer Question

I have a MX870 with a jammed torn paper behind the ink cartridges and the printer had been feeding groups of paper previously. How do I release and remove the pieces of paper to unjam it? And stop the feeding of groups of paper?
Al Brown(###) ###-####***@******.*** 12-31-15
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry for the issue in this, a special day. Please follow the steps below:

Turn the Printer off.

Open the cover and then turn it on.

As the Carriage begins to move to the center. Unplug the printer.

Find a flash light and canned air or a vacuum to suck those smaller pieces of paper from the Printer.

You may need to acquire needle nose pliers to grasp any and all small stray pieces of paper.

Then Vacuum/Canned Air the Printer once more.

Chime in and let me know of your results....

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The stuck paper is torn off behind and below the ink reservoirs and is wet with ink. It then protrudes back up into the feed slot about 1/2" but I can not pull it backwards with tweezers even when the rollers are powered and slipping. I do not believe you answered this problem or the other symptom of the paper feeding out in bunches of 2 to 5 or 10 at a time. Please advise. AB (###) ###-####

Do you have needle nose pliers???

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but they slip off the paper end when trying to pull backwards. I think I need something to lift the small 1" long rollers behind and below the ink cartridges. Must go to Mass now. Will check in 2 hours. AB

OK, I will do so... Give me about 90 minutes...

Please try this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IcWGcChiME

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got the paper shreads out with some long tweezers from the upper photo paper feeder which I have been using for regular paper without problem until recently. This is the position from which I normally run regular copy paper without problems until recently, but now the jam and the printer picking up 2 to 5 or more sheets at a time. The path is now clear but every time I turn the printer on, I now get a message: "6000 printer error has occurred. Turn off power then back on again. If problem persists, see the manual". (which I don't have). I have tried several times getting the same message. What now??

OK, please try this:

(Source:canon.com)

Issue: ERROR LCD: Error Code 6000
Solution: Removing paper jams MX870

Paper Is Jammed in the Paper Output Slot or the Rear Tray

Remove the paper following the procedure below.

1. Slowly pull the paper out, either from the Rear Tray or from the Paper Output Slot, whichever is easier.

Note

• If the paper tears and a piece remains inside the machine, turn the machine off, open the Scanning Unit (Cover), and remove the paper.

Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

After removing all paper, close the Scanning Unit (Cover), and turn the machine back on.

• If you cannot pull the paper out, turn the machine off and turn it back on. The paper may be ejected automatically.

2. Reload the paper, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 1, all print jobs in the queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Note

• When reloading the paper, confirm that you are using the correct paper and are loading it correctly.

• A5 sized paper is suited to printing documents consisting mainly of text. We do not recommend using such paper to print documents with photos or graphics, since the printout may curl and cause paper exit jams.

If you cannot remove the paper or the paper tears inside the machine, or if the paper jam error continues after removing the paper, contact the service center.

Paper Is Jammed inside the Machine at the Transport Unit

1. Detach the Rear Cover.

2. Pull the paper out slowly.

Note

• Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine.

1. Attach the Rear Cover.

Push the left side of the Rear Cover until it is closed completely.

If you were not able to remove the paper out in step 2:

1. Remove the Cassette.

2. Pull the paper out slowly.

3. If any paper is sticking out of the Cassette, remove the paper, align and reload the paper in the Cassette.

If you did not remove the jammed paper out in step 1 to 5 when automatic duplex printing, check the duplex transport section.

Note

• When reloading the paper into the machine, confirm that you are using the correct paper and are loading it into the machine correctly.

4. Insert the Cassette into the machine again, and press the OK button on the machine.

If you turned off the machine in step 2, all print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

Page top

Jammed Paper Is Not Removed out When Automatic Duplex Printing

If the paper jam error continues, remove the jammed paper following the procedure below.

1. Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

2. Remove the Cassette.

If the paper is loaded on the Rear Tray, remove the paper from the Rear Tray and retract the Paper Support.

3. Set the machine upright with the left side down.

Important

• When standing the machine, make sure that the Scanning Unit (Cover) is closed securely.

4. Slowly pull the jammed paper out so that the paper does not tear.

Note

• Set the machine back to its original position immediately after removing the jammed paper.

5. Align the paper, then reload it in the Cassette.

Reload paper in the Rear Tray, if necessary.

Note

6. Insert the Cassette into the machine again.

7. Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

All print jobs in queue are canceled. Reprint if necessary.

In Other Cases

Make sure of the following:

• Check 1: Are there any foreign objects around the Paper Output Slot?

• Check 2: Are there any foreign objects in the Rear Tray?

If there are any foreign objects in the Rear Tray, be sure to turn off the machine, unplug it from the power supply, then remove the foreign object.

• Check 3: Is the Rear Cover closed completely?

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! I had to buy another printer ($120) and pay another $65 to install !!! I'm considering reporting this to the BBB, seriously. I was out of printing service which I NEED daily for about 10 days! Here I am spending more of my time (100/hr. as a professional engineer) telling you which is NOT EASY on this site. Overall TERRIBLE. Don't you dare charge my credit card for ANYTHING. I will talk to you personally on the phone - (###) ###-####- if you care. Your website is impossible. You have cost me $185 plus about $300+ in my time. Alan Brown 1-11-16

I am sorry... What is wrong here Sir???? What did I miss??