Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I just bought a Canon PIXMA MX922, and the Bluetooth BU30

Customer Question

I just bought a Canon PIXMA MX922, and the Bluetooth BU30 device.
Should I be able to connect directly to my IPAD 3? Without using a router
Thanks
Paul
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Yes, you can print from the iPad to this new printer without even using the Bluetooth BU30 device. Please do the following:

- Go to App Store then search for canon print inject then install the app Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY

, or use the direct download link below:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/canon-print-inkjet-selphy/id664425773?mt=8

, then open the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app

, then go through the set up / register option

, for the connection method, make sure to select the option Direct Connection

- Please click on the website below for full instructions / illustrations:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART162563

Note: the instructions show to select option "Connect via wireless router (recommended)", but for your case, select option Direct Connection instead.

; more information:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART162555&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1451558823252

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Here is another guide if you need (it's for another Canon printer model, but the instructions are similar):

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/PTL/ptl-setup.html?lang=en&type=setup&area=us&model=mx53&os=i

, and when prompted for the connection method during the setup, make sure to select the option Direct Connection.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Reply button below in order to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my canon PIXMA MX922 printer, I cannot seem to get to the direct connect option.Thanks
Paul

Sorry, during the setup on the Canon PRINT Inkjet/SELPHY app, did you see the option Select Conn. method (or printer connection method), or something similar? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the IPAD app, it matches what you are showing, in the Canon printer itself, I can't seem to get to the correct spot.

Sorry, so on the Canon app on the iPad, you go to Connection method, then select option Direct Connection right? Then what does it show next? Please let me know; I'll go through steps with you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In "Direct Connect"
Step 1
Refer to the (setup Guide) and start cables setup on the printer.This is where I can't find it on my MX922

Do you mean Start cableless setup on the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cableless

On printer's screen, press Menu button, then use arrow buttons to select option Wireless LAN Setup (or WLAN Setup), then press OK button

, then if prompted to press the WPS button, then press the red Stop/Reset button

, then select option Other setup, then let me know what you see. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I see "other setup"I press "OK"then the only option is "advanced setup"
I press "OK"It detects all the wireless routers that I have. It also detects the HOTSPOT for my IPAD

Sorry, it looks like this printer does not have the cableless option. Can you set up the Bluetooth BU-30 device? Thank you.

Can you insert the Bluetooth BU-30 device to USB port of the printer? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have inserted the BU30 device into the printer, I haven't found a way to make that work.

After inserting the BU-30 device into the printer, does it show anything different on the printer's screen? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the BU30 installed the entire time.

On the iPad, open Settings icon, then select Bluetooth option, then make sure to turn on Bluetooth, then does it see your Canon printer? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sees my keyboard, but nothing else. If I turn the keyboard off it still doesn't see it

On printer, go to Setup (wrench/tool icon), then option Device settings, then Bluetooth settings, then what do you see? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 4 options
select device name
access refusal setting
Security settings
Change passkeyI selected the device name to MX920 series-1
backed out and hit "OK" to save.My IPAD still doesn't see anything

Can you go to option Access refusal setting and make sure it is set to OFF and OK, and check? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is off

Sorry, it is strange. Turn off Bluetooth on iPad

, then turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from the printer for a couple of minutes

, make sure the BU-30 bluetooth device is connected securely / pushed all way into the printer's USB port

, re-connect power cord to printer, then turn on printer

, wait a couple of minutes or so, then turn on Bluetooth on iPad

, and make sure iPad is near printer, then see if it detects the printer or not in Bluetooth.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The IPAD does not detect the printer

I'm really sorry; it's strange; maybe the Bluetooth BU-30 device does not work. How much did you buy for it? Maybe you can return it, and buy a router instead (a cheap router can is even cheaper than the bluetooth BU-30 device)? Then the printer will work with the iPad through the router. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome. The router should work fine, but if there is any trouble, you can always get back to me any time. Do you need anything else for now? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you

You're welcome. OK. Please get back to me any time as needed. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Happy New Year! Thank you very much for your patience,