Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a pixma 5320. When I try to scan it gives me error

Customer Question

I have a pixma 5320. When I try to scan it gives me error code 2,156,50
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Fred.

Can you try making a photocopy, direct from the glass, and let me know if you get any errors that way?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It copies perfectly.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Does it print from the computer?
What operating system do you have, and have you recently updated (to win10 for example)?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It prints perfectly. I have Windows 7 and I have not upgraded.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Okay, if the error comes up on the pc (not the printer screen), then it is a driver issue.

Go to the start menu, devices/printers. Right click the printer, then Remove Device.

Reboot computer, then go here to download/install the latest drivers (choose the full software/utility package):

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You didn't give me a link.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You didn't send me a link.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When do I connect the printer to the computer again? Do I just leave it connected? I could really use more help than I'm getting here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I hate to rush you, but I have other things to do today, and I would like to get this matter resolved. It's becoming time sensitive, and it wasn't an hour ago when I sent my first request.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

My apologies, I'm in the field, in a bad reception area, and the link didn't go through, sorry about that,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

You can unplug the usb to the printer (if using usb) during the time the computer reboots, and until the software is reinstalled, the pc will prompt you to connect then.

If using wifi, just turn the printer off or unplug power while rebooting pc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There isn't something that if a full package. Do I download all of the stuff on that page?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Use the very first one in the list that says master/setup

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I plug the printer in, it wants to download its own software. Do I let it do that?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

If windows is recognizing it, that is fine as well, yes.

If it doesn't help still though, then you'd bypass/decline that, and purposely install the driver from the link I sent earlier.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've done that entire process three times, hoping that I had done something wrong. All the drivers say they are working. It says my device is installed and ready. And it simply will not scan. I get exactly the same error I had at the beginning.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
even after everything is closed, the printer still says scanning document.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

But the error is on the printer now, not the pc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The PC sends me the error message, not the printer. It appears on my monitor.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Okay, there is something else going on with your pc then, something corrupted in the registry, most likely.

This is something that would be best resolved via a remote support session, which I am not available for at the moment.
I will "opt out" and allow another expert to assist you from here.
Do not rate, or reply further, either will hinder another from helping. They will see everything here, just wait for a reply.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is***** opted out opening this to all others. I am sorry to hear you are having this problem but I look forward to assisting you. Try scanning this way and let me know what happens. Click the windows start button near the lower left corner. In the search box type in fax. In the list open windows fax and scan. In the window that opens click on file and then on new scan. Let me know what happens. If this works please don't forget to leave a positive rating. If it did not work reply and let me know so we can continue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It wouldn't preview at all. When I asked it to scan it said an error prevented it from completing the scan.When I tried a straight scan, it gave me no picture.It still isn't working correctly.

What is the exact and entire error it gives you when doing it that way?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now I'm not getting an error message. It will preview, but no picture comes up. When I click scan, there is no picture. It is set to render a JPEG, but it gives me a .bmp and tells me it can't be viewed.

Have you tried reinstalling it yet?

Even though it prints normally that can still help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
several times. I've disconnected it and let it do installation itself. Everything checked out. When I go through MP Navigator, it tells me that there is no printer, or the USB cord is not connected. It gives me the error to which I made reference in the first email.When I don't let it use its own installation, and instead, use the drivers from the Canon site to which your predecessor sent me, I get the same results.Scanning through Windows doesn't allow me the options I need. I could live with it for a while, but it's irrelevant since, while it will at least appear to scan something, it doesn't return an image... or if it does, I've never been able to view it.Everything is connected properly because it prints. It also receives instructions to scan because it will appear to do so. The copier is functioning. I tried making a copy. In short, I can copy and print, but I cannot scan.Nathan seemed to suspect there was something wrong in the registry. Playing with that always makes me nervous. It's a wonderful way to screw up your computer permanently, and I don't have the money to buy another one.I think that pretty well sums up my situation.Fred

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts as well. If I think of anything else I will opt back in and let you know.

It looks like no one else replied so I will continue. Is there any way you can connect this to another computer and see if the same thing happens? Even borrowing a laptop for a few minutes from someone would be enough to test it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I won't have access to that until next week.Do you have a suggestion I can do today?

Unfortunately this is a very generic error as I mentioned before and we need to figure out which side the error is being caused on. So until we can see if another computer does the same thing there is nothing I can suggest. You can take all the time you need to get back to me and let me know what happens.