Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

This ***** ***** I have an HP photosmart 7520 that has an

Customer Question

Customer: Hi This ***** ***** I have an HP photosmart 7520 that has an improper shut message at power up and will not clear. It just continuously repeats what I think is the startup sequence
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This printer was working fine. My sister-in-law moved and now the printer cycles through this error message as soon as the printer is turned on. There is an "OK" icon for a split second. I was able to "activate" the ok icon but the printer just restarted.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 11 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask how the printer is connected to your system? (usb, wifi, network, etc)

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was usb. But I have it disconnected from computer right now.

Thank you for the update.

May I start a remote screen sharing session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem?

When the remote begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

After you click the "Accept this offer" button for the remote service, the remote link will be posted here. That will be the last charge for today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Unwilling to accept $45. I can almost buy a new printer for that.
Thanks

Okay. I understand. The extra cost is due to the fact that the remote will require a bit more of my time. What happens when you attempt to print?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot print. The printer just sits and cycles through a startup sequence. Its as if it is getting powered on and off

Have you tried resetting the printer cache, which is done by unplugging the power cable for two minutes, plugging it back in, and turning it on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no change. I also tried a different wall socket.

Does the cycling begin when the print job is sent to the printer or does it start the moment the printer is turned on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The moment the printer is turned on

It sounds like it is a hardware issue with the printer.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just tried unplugging for over three minutes. As soon as I plugged in power the printer started up (cycling) without pressing the on button
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Jason!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.

That is a physical problem. probably something came lose or broke in transport.

you want to look at places like where the paper feeds and particuarly around the print head to see if it is off the track or locked in place or the cartridges came unlocked.