Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a brand new mfc 7860 dw that suddenly defaults

Customer Question

I have a brand new mfc 7860 dw that suddenly defaults requesting manual feed instead of tray feed even though I have selected tray feed in printer properties?
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you with your problem. It may be that the application from which you are printing has the manual feed selected. What application are you printing from?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am trying to print from multiple applications emails, word docs, excel spreadsheets etc. It has been working fine when printing from all of these sources until an hour ago when it now wants manual feed. In printer properties I have selected tray feed and hit apply and ok and it still does not wok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

All the applications that you mentioned share the same settings. You need to go into one of them and select a page to print, and go into printer properties inside the application. Look for the tray selection and make sure that it is set to Auto.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I already did that and tray feed is selected?????
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

What are the other choices? Please try printer auto select.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Auto select is selected
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Great. Now make sure that the printer cassette tray has paper in it and try to print something from that application.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
actually I have been trying that all along and is not working
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Okay. It was necessary for me to determine what did not work to figure out what to do next.

Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

To solve this problem, you will need to perform a factory reset on your printer. This will restore all your settings to the default settings and erase all your address and fax information. Are you ready to do this now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how do I do this?
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

First, if your printer is connected by cable to your computer or your router, disconnect the cable. Then, on your printer control panel, press Menu, 0. Next, scroll to select Reset and press OK. Scroll go select All Settings and press OK. Then press 1 to reboot or 2 to cancel. Press 1 again to reset all the settings.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried everything you said and still reverts to manual.
Expert:  JKalman replied 11 months ago.

Okay. I am going to opt out and turn this question over to other experts who are qualified to diagnose mechanical failures. Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with this.

When did you get this new printer?
Are you currently able to make a copy fine using tray feed (not manual feed) from the printer (not print from the computer)?
Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?
Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I continue this later I am swamped right now
of course. Please let me know later. Thank you.
Please answer these questions when you are available:
1. When did you get this new printer?
2. Was there any change recently to your computer that may have caused this issue?
3. Are you currently able to make a copy fine using tray feed (not manual feed) from the printer (not print from the computer)? Please put a document or photo faced down on the printer's glass, then use the Copy option / button on the printer, and see what happens.
4. Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?
5. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10, or mac computer?