Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My HP P1100w is suddenly telling me "non HP cartridge in

Customer Question

Customer: My HP P1100w is suddenly telling me "non HP cartridge in use" and will not print, although it prints a test page just fine. How can I override this message? I am definitely not using an HP cartridge, but it has been working for months with no problem until today.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That sounds like a form answer without reading what I wrote.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AUGH it is a P1102 not P1100. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Specifically a P1102w.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

The problem here truly does reside with the ink cartridge.

Generic cartridges are specifically prohibited because they simply don't work as well. The generic/refilled ones have about a 60% success rate, they wear the printer consumable parts about 3x faster, and they void your warranty.

While it may work initially, and even for many months, the generic cartridges will fail at some point and have to be replaced.

You can try another one, but should really replace it with the proper OEM HP cartridge, at least for every other use. There is no way to override the error message or to force a failed cartridge to work, unfortunately.

You can get the proper cartridge here: http://amzn.to/1QFNDFP

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to Amazon feedback, there are hundreds of users of this same printer using off-brand cartridges. This one has been working fine for months. Apparently there is a HP driver that can be downloaded to override it. Do you have access to that driver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the information but it really did nothing to answer my question or solve the problem that hundreds of others seem to have solved. I have posted to Amazon and will see what comes of it. Thank you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There is not a driver that will override it, that is not a driver function. The issue comes when a cartridge is either not recognized, or expires. That is an internal printer main pcb issue, not a driver or computer issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the HP forums, the newer drivers are set to recognize non-HP parts. Sometimes HP will send out an older driver, pre-2010, that allow the printer to run off non HP parts. I will note that the test page prints just fine, so it clearly is nothing to do with the printer cartridge.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I know it isn't a failure of the cartridge itself, just that it isn't being recognized. Were you getting the error on the printer itself, or on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay that is a different issue then, thank you for clarifying. I thought you were getting a cartridge error on the printer display panel, meaning it was not recognizing or was rejecting the toner.

If you get it on the computer, that can be a driver related issue, you may benefit from updating, though I cannot provide anything newer for you beyond what is already on the HP site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no printer display panel on this pretty basic computer. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I'm familiar with the model, I have one myself, I thought you were just referring to the error/toner indicator light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there is no error light, just a printer that won't print. You have to dig deep into the software to get the non-HP cartridge message. So....do you use non-HP cartridges?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I have on occasion, I've had good luck with the http://amzn.to/1Zoqh8N

cartridges, but I keep an OEM cartridge around to switch to if I have issues