Md. Sadique
Md. Sadique, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics engineer with 7+ years of experience in repairing office equipments & printers
22727371

I have an HP C309G and the feed rollers do not turn. If I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have an HP C309G and the feed rollers do not turn. If I push the paper in manually to the print rollers it will print. How do I open the printer to get to the feed rollers and check the gears?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I did all the recommended items including cleaning rollers, changing paper, changing computer. It sure appears as though the feed rollers not turning is the issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Md. Sadique replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

Could you please check the rubber condition of the feed rollers?

Is it hard or soft?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are soft. They just don't turn like the gears are slipping or stripped.

In that case I am sorry to say you will have to replace the feed rollers.

What is the age of your laptop?

Would you like to replace it on your own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using several computers but main one is 1 year old MacBook Pro.
I'd definitely like to do the work myself. It would be great just to open the printer and see the condition of the gears. Some people have noted the gears were just out of align.
How do I unlatch the bottom of the case? It appears there are four embedded plastic latches that need to be squeezed or pressed to unlatch.

Let's start

What type of rollers you see?

A set of three rollers. One Pre-feed roller, this pushes the paper into the other rollers. One feed roller and one separation roller.

Or, you've a half moon style. It has a clutch system that keeps it at home position when not feeding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached some pictures. One is the feed rollers, one is inside at the pick-up rollers: the pick-up rollers are the ones that do not turn. The other pictures show the bottom of the printer case with the case latches including a close-up. These are the ones I need to open to check out the movement and gears.

Let me clarify,

Did you say pick up rollers doesn't turn?

Do you hear a grinding noise of plastic cogwheels slipping when the printer tries to feed a sheet of paper?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The FEED ROLLERS turn. The PICKUP rollers do not turn.
No grinding noise. Sorry I may not reply to your responses immediately as I am currently visiting in Thailand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note that I do ha be the printer in Thailand.

It looks like there is too much problem in the pick-up unit on which both pick-up drums are mounted on a single arm. When the printer is not printing, these drums are lifted. When its printing, they are dropped to the top of the paper stack and will engage to separate the topmost sheet off the stack.

When the drums are in lifted state, you will be able to rotate these drums in one direction. When the drums touch the paper, they won't rotate.

In your case I suspect the cogwheels that drive the drums will slip. This area is hard to reach.
You've to disassemble the entire printer, and I don't expect you will be able to easily fix the the paper pick-up mechanism that drive the rubber rolls when pressed on the stack of paper.
In many similiar cases I found that near the rear underside - the gear furthest back sitting on a thin, geared, metal rod - was cracked. Which makes the gear "skip" instead of spin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me how to open the case latches on the bottom so I can check them out?
I agree the gears are probably stripped or broken. I have the ability to create new parts; 3D printer. I don't want to throw away an otherwise excellent printer for a stripped gear. Even if I don't get it fixed I need to try and check it out.

That's very brave!!

I will give you a pictorial guide with instructions on how to disassemble your printer and reach the feed roller area. This guide belongs to a different model HP printer but the process is similar.

Please click this link to access the guide: The replacement guide

Tell me how it goes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm heading out of town the next few days so I'll try the repair next week.
I'll let you know how it works out.

Keep me posted!