Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

When i press print, all that comes out is a black square-no

Customer Question

when i press print, all that comes out is a black square-no text
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cannon pixma mx490 series
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cancel phone call or call XXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think it is possible either that you have a temporary problem that can be solved by a reset of the printer and the computer... or you have a problem with printing from odd software or an unusual document... or perhaps, a severe (and, unusual) malfunction of the printer.

Things to check:

- first of all, if you are printing a photo, check that you have not enabled grayscale. (I don't think this is the problem, since you mention text.)

- then, try printing from a simple application, like Notepad (in all Windows computers). Open Notepad, type in a few words, send that to print. What's the result? this is as basic a test as there could be.

- Try turning Off the printer, clearing the printer's queue, and restarting your computer. Then try a one-page print from Notepad again (after turning On the printer again, of course.)

- If you have an Apple computer, TextEdit is as basic an application to print from as Notepad is on Windows computers.

Try a Nozzle Check page also, and check the ink levels too. Something might be wrong in that area.

Let me know what happens, what you find out, and how it goes. I will advise you further depending on results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THIS TIME IT PRINTED HALF OF THE ;PAGE AND T HE OTHER HALF IS A BIG BLACK SQ'U'ARE
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Are you printing a photograph, or an image file ?