Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a Brother MFC-9340CDW. I was getting notifications

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Brother MFC-9340CDW. I was getting notifications from my printer that it was time to replace the 4 drums. I ignored the notifications for a while, but eventually ordered them. Before the drums arrived, I started getting about a 1" wide shadow down the left side of the page. This light shadow was repeating print about 3" above the shadow. There are also indentation in the paper along this shadow. I also started getting a different odor from the printer. Kind of a burnt smell. After installing the 4 new drums and toner cartridges, the shadow lessened, but is still there. The burnt smell is still there. I'm a little nervous about this. Kurt
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm interested in your problem. I would like to ask, how long is 'a while' in 'I ignored the notifications for a while' ?

The burnt smell, if anything *did* get overheated inside your printer, will probably persist for a while. Such smells, in my experience, are rather 'sticky'. They stick around a while.

How many pages have you printed or produced, through the printer, since the drum replacement was done?

If no more than 20, try running a set of blank copies... about 5. (Blank copies meaning, photocopies of a blank sheet of paper.) Tell me how they look... and whether the last of them shows any lessening of shadow etc. on the page (if there is one) from the first of the 5 to the last of the 5.

If there is any shadow on the last of those blank copies, please scan the page and post it here... it might help me figure out what is wrong and what to do for it. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just left the office. I'll need to respond to you later. Thanks

Later is fine. Take up this case again at your convenience. Thanks.

(To return to the question: this is its dedicated page at JustAnswer.com:

http://www.justanswer.com/printers/9gcg5-brother-mfc-9340cdw-getting-notifications.html )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would say that we ignored the notices 4-5 weeks with varying levels of activity on the printer. Since the new drums have been installed we have run well over 20 pages. Probably close to 50. I ran 5 copies of a blank piece of paper. The first copy had a very light shadow down the left side. By the 5th copy the shadow was practically gone but the indentation down the left side was the same with 1st and the 5th copies.

Good. I thought the shadow might lessen in that fashion.

How far apart are the indentations?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Looking at it closely, it seems there 3 different indentations running down the left side of the page. The far left 2 are continuous with no break in the indentations. The third is about an 1.5" long and repeats every 1.5".

I'm not sure what that means. Check and re-seat every movable component in the printer, I suggest.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The four drums have been in and out several times. They are all secure. With these indentations occurring on every sheet of paper with no variance, I would think it has something to do with some type of roller.

So would I.

Look for a jagged gear protruding from one of those drums you replaced. The indentations started with them didn't they?

(Or if the indentations didn't start with the replaced drums, look everywhere else, I suggest.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The indentations started before the 4 drum replacements. We don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Admittedly this is a very peculiar-sounding problem.

If I could *see* what the problem looks like, I could perhaps help better. I have actually seen loads and tons and very many laser printer and copier problems. But yours does not sound familiar.

The best I can say, without a scanned image to look at, is to check the fuser. Embossings are usually caused by fuser rollers being irregular or scarred, or else caking of toner on the fuser rollers causing the embossing or marking.

The fuser is the heated rollers at the end of the path the paper takes through the printer.

Another method we need to use here is the 'half-way' test, where the printing is interrupted by opening a cover or door, stopping the process in its tracks. Do this when the sheet of paper is about half-way through the printing process. Remove the sheet of paper, not yet fully through the printing process, noting where in the paper path it is, and examine it: marks already upon it confirm the problem is not in the rest of the paper path that it has not yet passed through. That isolates problem aspects to half the printer, making it easier to find the problem.

Note: toner will be loose on the paper, not having yet passed through the fuser. So be careful not to get the loose unfused toner onto your clothes, or other clean objects.

Let me know what examination of the fuser, and/or a half-way test, reveals... if you cannot simply scan, and post to me, one of the pages that shows the problem(s), e.g. the last of those 5 blank copies. I'm eager to make progress on this problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll try your suggestions and report back to you. Thanks

OK, please get back to me at your convenience about the Brother MFC-9340CDW with the problem. Thanks.