Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My mfc 9460cdn doesnt want to scan on table and message is

Customer Question

Customer: My mfc 9460cdn doesnt want to scan on table and message is Scan Unable AF and make a rattle sound
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: was working fine and the next time I want to scan the rattle sound start and message came up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Scanner make a clucking sound and message scan unable AF come up
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Doenst want to take paper on the rollers or on the flatbed. Just hear clacking sound when I press scan.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information, my apologies I had replied earlier and it doesn't look like it posted through, just a moment while I resend,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for not much more. As this is a 2010 model, it is already past its 5 year service life and wouldn't be considered worth fixing, thoguh you could certainly keep it as-is, if it will let you print still, and buy a standalone scanner instead.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help service options or replacement recommendations at that point if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I feel I can't really rate you because not sure yet what to do. Will when I know if your answer were correct.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Well this is not really a matter of correct or not, this is really the only step you can attempt.

Beyond that, it is a hardware defect and in cases of hardware faults I can only diagnose and explain the issue, it is not possible to guarantee a fix for all situations.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.