Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience Computers, Electronics, and Printers - HP, Canon, Xerox, Ricoh, Lexmark, Oki, Ghestner, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp
23511658

I am printing an 8 1/2 x 11 Xmas paper stock that has foil

Customer Question

I am printing an 8 1/2 x 11 Xmas paper stock that has foil on the edge. My HP 8620 printer keeps defaulting to an "Paper detected does not matach paper size selected" error message. I have tried changing to "thick 8 1/2 x 11" on the driver, or "other specialty papers" and all that happens is it sends the message OR changes my margins and prints too far over. What is going on?? I am using MS Word as for the document and a Pavilion M6 laptop with Windows 8
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Michael. I can assist you with your question. Here is HP's response to your problem:

"Unfortunately, you cannot print on an "undefined" paper size with our printers. While the feature is available in word, our printers only recognize the main paper sizes (these change depending on the country sometimes).

The reason for this is because non-defined paper sizes open the printer and the print job to a number of risks including paper jams or misaligned printing. This is why the feature is no longer on HP printers.

I would recommend finding a traditional paper type that is close to the size you want to print on and selecting that in the page setup of the print job as a work-around for this issue.

I hope this helps
!"

Well it doesn't. So there is a workaround that should work for you. It's not very elegant, but it should get around the problem. In doing these steps, selecting the Deskjet 9800 should allow you to do it. Let me know how you make out.

To use an alternate print driver for HP printers in Windows 7:
1. Click on the Start menu.
2. Click on Devices and Printers.
3. Right-click on your printer.
4. Select Printer Properties.
5. Click on the Advanced tab.
6. Click on New Driver.
7. Click Next.
8. Select HP from the first list.
9. Select Deskjet 450 from the second list. If the 450 driver isn't there, use the Deskjet 990c driver.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Finish.
12. Click Apply.
13. Click OK to close the window.

To assign an alternate print driver in Windows 8:

1. Hold your mouse arrow in the lower right, or upper right, corner of the screen to bring up the Charms Bar. If you are using a touch screen, you can swipe your finger from the right side to the left.
  2. Select the Search Charm.
  3. Under the search box, click on Settings.
  4. In the search box, type Devices.
  5. Click on Devices and Printers.
  6. Right-click on your printer.
  7. Select Printer Properties.
  8. Click on the Advanced tab.
  9. Click on New Driver.
  10. Click Next.
  11. Select HP from the first list.
  12. Select HP Deskjet PCL3 Class Driver from the second list. You can also use either the Photosmart PCL3 class Driver, Officejet PCL3 Class Driver, Deskjet 990c or Deskjet 450 driver.
  13. Click Next.
  14. Click Finish.
  15. Click Apply to save the changes.
  16. Click OK to close the window.