John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My canon Image CLass printer only grabs the paper on one

Customer Question

My canon Image CLass printer only grabs the paper on one side and then causes a jam.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer, my name is***** allow me to assist you with your question today. I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

Which ImageClass model number do you have?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
mf4890dw
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did u get my model No. MF4890DW?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PLEASE ANSWER. DID YOU GET MY MODEL NO.?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why are you not answering to my response?
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for the delay. If you place only one sheet of paper, do you get the same issue?

And are you printing one side or two side?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It just did it with only one sheet of paper. I am printing on one side.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Did you get the same issue with one sheet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What's happening? I am going to have to leave this connection soon.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has been over one hour. You have only asked me two or three basic questions without any results. I am leaving now. Please do not charge my Visa card. This service was not very responsive.
Expert:  John replied 11 months ago.

Sir/Madam, I apologize for the long delay. This may be a problem with the feeder rol (defective or dirty), or a piece of paper jammed inside the printer.

Please check page 96 from this guide ===> CLICK HERE and follow the steps under "Clearing paper jams inside the machine"

And follow the steps to see if there is a piece of paper jammed inside the printer.

If no luck, please check using a flashlight, to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen. If there is nothing obvious, un-plug the printer power supply.

Next, take a dry cloth or Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder. Dust may be coating the rollers there and as they become less tacky, they cannot feed paper correctly.

Holding the printer in both hands (this has to be done by 2 or 3 people), turn it upside down and shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area. (Sometimes objects such as pens, paper clips and so on can fall into the paper feed area and cause blockages.)

Then plug the printer back up, take your paper out and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper.

Remove all paper from the machine and then blow out the feed roller and paper tray thoroughly with compressed air three or four times.

Please keep me posted. I apologize for the long delay.