Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I have a Canon MX340 printer. I cannot get it to print from

Customer Question

I have a Canon MX340 printer. I cannot get it to print from the computer to the
printer. I turned on the "On" button and it told me to check my ink as it was low.
I put in a new black ink cartridge and now when I turn to print, the alarm light
comes on............telling me to check ink U163?????????
Please help.
Many thanks.
Mary Crandall
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Are you using genuine non refilled Canon ink?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bought the Canon pixma 210XL black ink at Staples

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small area on the ink cartridges ink will come out of when pushed that is normal just get any dried ink off of that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message

Let me know the results either way.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Freddie,
Okay, I went to Staples and bought another new ink cartridge. Came home......followed your directions..........turned printer
on and my message is..........check UO 51..............I do not use colored ink, only black.???????????? Please help
Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PS Freddie, the alarm light is still on my printer????
Mary

Whether you use color or not does not matter the machine uses a small amount of color to lighten and darken black prints. It will never print with any of the cartridges empty. I also never said to buy a new cartridge again so I am not sure why you did that but thank you for letting me know the results of it. I would not have suggested doing that as this error can mean you have a failing part. The light should blink in a pattern, what is that pattern?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear *****die,
Staples is a ways from my house and I wanted to make sure that I had that base covered should it be the cartridge. I have used
black only for almost a year with an empty colored cartridge??????? What light?????????? where should it be blinking?????
The on light and the alarm light are solid.........they are not blinking??? message still says color ink UO 51??????
Mary

The alarm light should be blinking. UO51 means the color needs to be replaced, is it empty? It will not work if empty. How old is the printer? If it is not empty you could have a failing print head. In which case if over a year old I also need to know if you got an extended warranty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The alarm light is not blinking. It is solid yellow. I took the colored cartridge out today when all of this started happening.
It was empty ...........I think...........I did not use it as I only use black. I just put the old colored cartridge back in. The alarm
button came back on..........solid yellow????????????
Mary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As far as the age of the printer...........I do not know as it was a gift from a friend who passed.
Mary

If it is empty it is not going to work, the machine will not work with an empty color cartridge which I explained before even if you only print in black.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay...........I will go down and get a colored cartridge and install. I will leave this page up on my computer in case this too
does not work.
Mary

If it does not work it would be a very bad sign and would mean you have a failing print head in your machine that needs to be replaced. That is why I asked before for the age, without a warranty replacing this part is not normally worth it. Usually it is cheaper to replace the machine instead when that happens. The print head is the part the ink cartridges sit on in the printer. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.