Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My IP7200 printer has stopped printing Cyan. I have done several

Customer Question

My IP7200 printer has stopped printing Cyan. I have done several deep cleans and fitted a new cartridge but the check print is blank for the cyan. If the head is damaged can it be repaired economically or easily - or is it cheaper to buy a new printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Maybe you should try this first (though things can be tried on your printhead also perhaps): In outline:1. Clean the (cyan) printhead. (This is an operation that can be done through the Maintenance functions, either with the Canon software on your computer, or by Maintenance functions on the printer itself.) It does not have to be a Deep Clean, the normal kind is effective.2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.3. Clean the printhead a second time.4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.5. Clean the printhead a third time.Then test whether cyan ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead. After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.) So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)