Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

The initial print cartridges are not being recognized on the

Customer Question

The initial print cartridges are not being recognized on the MX 922 install
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine canon inks, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ones that came in the box - this is a brand new installation. I have the red lights and all are installed according to the directions. The machine will not move off the cartridge install screen to complete the process
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming, I was not clear that it was a new machine.

Remove the cartridges, unplug power to the printer, then check them over very carefully,

you may have missed some packing material (tape, plastic cap, etc) on them.

Reseat them carefully, being sure they snap into place. Then power printer back on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine has to be on to load the cartridges - you cannot get to the carriage with it off - so I did it that way, turned it off, unplugged it and restarted.After lots of racket and the print heads engaging, we are back at the start up menu
In the same spot going no where
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am asking you to turn it on, lift the lid to access them, remove them and at that point unplug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure there is no tape or other obstruction there?
Was the plastic/foil on the bottom of cartridges pierced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cartridges are clean - no tape, no caps (they are big and plastic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at these again - there isn't plastic to pierce on the bottom
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

We will need to try a cleaning and deeper reset step,

unplug power at the wall outlet (remove cartridges first)

wait 5 minutes

wipe down metal electrical contacts/pins on back of cartridges as well as inside printer

reload cartridges and close access doors.
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work. I called the store where I purchased it - they are providing another - apparently this might be a common problem
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is a common problem,

the above is the attempted resolution, if it fails you have a bad printhead, and replacement is the next step.

The retailer should exchange it for you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These canons in general have high failure rates on the newer models, rarely lasting more than a year.

I'd be happy to recommend a better quality replacement model for you, if they'll give you a refund or let you choose something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are replacing it with a Brother or HP
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I would choose an Epson personally, if they let you pick between Brother and HP, the brother will be more reliable.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.