Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Epson XP-424 printer. Replaced the ink cartridge but it

Customer Question

Epson XP-424 printer. Replaced the ink cartridge but it won't print and still shows Replace the ink cartridge. Is there a phone number I can call?
Ruth Dorsey
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Ruth, are you using genuine epson cartridges, or generic/refilled ones?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was using Epson. However, I'm taking the printer back to the store.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well there are some steps we can take here,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cancel and refund. I'm taking the printer back to the store. I took all the positive steps and have given up. Ruth Dorsey
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I have no ability to cancel anything or change/adjust billing matters.

I've you've taken all of the above steps, then you have a bad printhead and would indeed need to return/exchange the printer if within the return policy. beyond that you can file a warranty claim, let me know if you need the number for that.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.

A negative rating will not produce a refund, it only hurts my professional reputation when I'm only trying to help - the site would still retain your fee, I just would be left working for free tying to assist you.