Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Printer ran out of ink and and now computer won't delete

Customer Question

printer ran out of ink and and now computer won't delete print job and won't print anything else, just shows "printer error"
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Any errors on the printer itself, or just on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just on computer. The print job I tried to delete yesterday when the ink ran out still shows "deleting" when I check the printer status and I am unable to print anything now.. when I hit print it comes up unable to print, printing error.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Have you rebooted the computer?
That should clear the queue.

if it does not, you'll need to delete and reinstall the printer from the control panel, devices/printers folder (right click hp, then remove device, reboot again, then add printer).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I rebooted but did not delete the printer. I'll try this and hopefully it works. Thank you!
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, if you still have trouble let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rebooted computer, deleted printer, then rebooted and tried to add printer. when I added the printer it did it but showed "copy 1" after and it wouldn't let me print anything to this one. I deleted this one also and checked the printer status and it still shows the job in quiere still deleting. How can it still be there if I deleted the printer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it did not delete fully. Go ahead and try to delete it once more, making sure you do so as the administrator.

Reboot,

then if you have a registry cleaner program, go ahead and run that, before reinstalling.