Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

All of a sudden with new black ink in my canon pixma mx532

Customer Question

Customer: this is Inez. all of a sudden with new black ink in my canon pixma mx532 it will not print nothing in black or copy anything in black! I'm using a chromebook. Never had this issue before.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not really, was working fine until I replaced new color/black cartridges in and can't print in black, comes out blank pages
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Printers Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, and I'd also need to know the age of the printer (when it was purchased)

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went through all the manual cleaning under maintenance and this printer is new, just got it less than a year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I'm here, please just reply once though and allow me a chance to respond. Sending multiple replies pushes you down the queue and delays me getting any of them.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If it is less than a year, your best option will probably be to pursue a warranty claim here, as failure of the cleaning generally indicates a bad printhead ( a very common problem with this model), though you can go through the manual clean if you wish:

Open up the printer, and look for the "carriage" that goes back and forth (on metal rails) over the paper while printing. This is the printhead.

You'll remove the ink cartridges from the printer, then clean on the bottom of them (focus on the ink port/hole) as well as inside the printer where they mate up using qtips and rubbing alcohol.

If you can, remove the carriage/print head (there will be a small lever at the side/rear of it that lifts up to release) and clean the bottom this way as well.

When cleaning the port on the print head that the ink flows into from the cartridge, also try using a qtip to "pump" the liquid down into the port and force it through, which will help to dissolve any clogs. If possible, you'll get better results by using a syringe and appropriately sized rubber tubing (that will fit into the ink inlet port) to force the alcohol to flush through the head)

After all of this swab again with a few dry qtips or give a blast of compressed air to dry everything well, then put it all back together. You can now try to print, or run the automated print head cleaning function in the setup menu. You may have to run a few pages through before everything starts flowing properly again.

If none of this helps, then you've got a faulty print head(s) which would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** helped
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for trying,

so next step is to file a warranty claim, if less than a year old.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.