Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I HAVE A FUJI XEROX DOCUPRINT M255Z. DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE

Customer Question

HI MICHAEL. I HAVE A FUJI XEROX DOCUPRINT M255Z. DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE ABLE TO COLLECT THE PAPER, GIVES A LOAD PAPER MESSAGE THEN PAPER JAM MESSAGE BUT NOT ACTUALLY JAMMED
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A FULL TRAY CAN HELP BUT NOT NECESSARILY. pICKING UP THE FRONT OF THE PAPER TRAY TO "DELIVER" THE PAPER CAN HELP SOMETIMES BUT NOT EVERYTIME.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I take it that this is a long-standing problem, not just a recently occurring one, from the sound of it. (If that is not true, remove the paper tray, turn the power Off, and leave it that way for 15 minutes or more, then turn it On again with no paper tray inserted and wait several minutes while the machinery initializes and warms up, before re-inserting the paper tray.)

There is something wrong with the paper pickup mechanism, or the rollers. I'm not sure what it is by the sound, but it is unusual. Parts made of metal may be bent, or the cams that drive the paper pickup rollers and mechanism may be out of position.

Did you have a severe paper jam in the area just inside the printer from the tray in question, before this problem started? if so, that's a clue to the cause of the problem.

How old is the printer? when did it last have any preventative maintenance, such as paper pickup roller cleaning, done?

I suggest that such maintenance be done, at minimum. But it may not help an apparently severe case like this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Russell. Problem is recent ...last 40 jobs or so. Have done the maintenance but not the long turn off. Will try this at work but not in now until Monday my time in Aus.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's OK. Monday in Australia will be plenty of time, even in my hemisphere. Let me know how it goes, at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, we have done what you suggested (turned off machine, taken out paper tray, re-started) but this has not fixed the problem. We have success if the paper tray is full of paper and we physically hold the paper tray up and feed the paper through manually. This is bothersome and time consuming. It seems like there is a problem with the rollers but how do we fix this?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The roller mechanism may be defective or broken in any number of ways.

But also, the rollers (*if* they are in the right place and cams and gears associated with them are not defectve) may need cleaning, esp. if the printer is several years old or has had high usage or both.

To try it, if you like, follow this procedure:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply - we will clean the rollers and see if this helps. Before I start I just wanted to check which rollers to clean. If I take out the paper tray and look towards the back I don't see any rollers. On the other hand, if I go to the back of the machine and open up the back cover there are a number of rollers. There is a large purple drum style roller (I have been told previously not to clean this so am reluctant to touch it), a hard-to-get-to orange drum-style roller, as well as 2 thin metal rods. One metal rod has 2 x 40mm black plastic rollers and the other has 2 x 40mm white plastic rollers. What part do I clean?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Do not touch the purple or odd-colored drum style roller! with anything.

The rubber or plastic rollers are the important things to clean the paper-contacting surfaces of.

If slippery with time and age and usage, they need cleaning off with some solvent a little stronger than warm water (though some recommend warm water.)

If no paper pickup rollers are visible in the space the paper try fits into, imagine the top surface of the paper stack, where it is when the paper tray is in the printer. The paper pickup rollers should be there, though it may be hard to see them, unless you use a flashlight and/or a mirror to look around corners.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Russell, nothing was working so got in a tech who believes the problem is the humidity of the paper. The problem has been happening since we started getting a hot period of weather after a long period of rain so that does make sense. We will store the paper better and keep it drier. Thank you for trying to solve my problem and for the good info about how to clean the rollers etc..
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

I don't hear that the problem is solved, though.

If it is indeed the humidity of the paper then you should be able to solve it by simply swapping in paper from anywhere, anywhere at all, that wasn't humid.

Try the cleaning! it might help overcome the humidity issue *a lot*, if that's what it is. Old rollers do get slippery surfaces, and humid paper might just push the slipperiness over the limit.

But if you're done with this case, please rate my Answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.