Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Nathan, my Canon MX882 Printer is having problems. First, it

Customer Question

Nathan, my Canon MX882 Printer is having problems. First, it wouldn't print black ink and I found a forum that talked about a fix.
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/I-have-a-pixma-MX882-printer-and-all-of-a-sudden-it-stopped/td-p/56177
I washed the printer head, and loaded it back into the printer last night. When I turned on the printer, I got the B200 error "printer error has occurred. Unplug the power cord and contact the service center. I would have taken the printer head out again to try and ensure it was free of water, but the printer head/ink is all the way to the right (half exposed), so I can't try again. I did your solution of unplugging, waiting 5 min, press/hold power button while plugging it back in, but no dice. Printer head/ink are still to the far right, so I can't disassemble it again. Does this make since? Any help you have would be much appreciated!
Thank you kindly,
Chris
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Chris, unfortunately, there isn't much you can do here.

You likely made a bad situation worse by using water and have caused permanent damage to the head, even if it can be retrieved.

The B200 error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.