Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Our Epson printer will not photocopy, it will print though

Customer Question

Our Epson printer will not photocopy, it will print though it is temperamental!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When you try to photocopy, is there any error indication? or does the operation simply not begin?

If the printer has been moved recently, make sure the shipping lock switch is not in the locked position - that can prevent the scanner bar from moving, and thus prevent scan or copy operations (but not printing.)

How old is your Epson printer? measured from date of purchase.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi the printer is just over a year old. I don't know how to find the locking bar -can you advise?
The photocopy operation doesn't begin, nothing happens .....
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

How are you ordering the copy operation to begin? please tell me.

The locking switch or shipping switch is not likely to be the problem if, simply 'nothing happens'.

But, in this model, it appears, there is no 'shipping switch'. When there is, it is usually under the scanner lid, to one side of the glass, and clearly labeled with a LOCK and unlocked-Lock icon.

How new or old is the Epson printer in question? has it ever done photocopying before this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is just over a year old, it has photocopied previously. I switch the printer on and then press the 4th button in to ask it to photocopy.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Are any lights on the printer's control panel On, or Flashing ?

If so, which ones, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I don't believe this but it has just photocopied a sheet that I tried just now. Who knows?!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That's good! did you use the 5th button, perhaps? for full-color copies? if so, you may have a black ink cartridge that is depleted and needs replacing.

If you used the 4th button, that would be for black-and-white copies, in black ink only.

Let me know - I hope I have helped with the case some.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I pressed the same button that I had pressed previously!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is it continuing to photocopy reliably? was it then, apparently, a temporary problem?