Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Error code 0x9D Printer error. turn the power off and on

Customer Question

Error code 0x9D
Printer error. turn the power off and on again. For details, see documentation or visit Epson.com." on printer's screen. I've done this repeatedly, as well as checking for jammed paper from rear feeder as well as the front tray. This does seem to have something to do with paper not feeding. Can't find any jams. I have the tray loaded with about a third of its capacity, and when I remove the duplexer from the rear I can see the paper at the rear of the tray stacked properly. I've tried removing the paper from the tray, fanning it, reinstalling it upside down, etc. But the error message keeps coming up. Help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me when the printer was purchased?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2 years ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. These machines are built for a maximum 3 year service life, and once the 1 year warranty is past they simply aren't worth fixing.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with replacement recommendations if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.