Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Freddy My printer(WF 3540 ) is always showing the error

Customer Question

Hi Freddy
My printer(WF 3540 ) is always showing the error code:97 Are you able to help?
Thanks
V
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

I assume you are getting an 0x97.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. Luckily, this is a 2014 model, so depending on purchase date you should still be under the epson 1 year warranty, and can file a warranty claim to have them repair it.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with contact info to file a warranty claim at that point if needed. If beyond the warranty, it is simply not worth fixing - it would cost more in labor alone than it would for a new printer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

---

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.