Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am getting a printer error message. It asks me to turn the

Customer Question

I am getting a printer error message. It asks me to turn the power off, I do the same thing and it repeats. On my mac it seems to say it is a bonjour problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of the printer?
What is the complete and specific error code/number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Epson WF-2540
Printer error. Turn power off and then on again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It should be giving you a specific code number such as 0xEA or 0x97 for example.

Unplug power for a few seconds, replug, then check the printer screen carefully for the error message, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that again and the same message on the printer screen came up again. Looking at my Mac it says it was a printer error, bonjour.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

it is not a computer problem. The computer registers a problem because it can't communicate, because there is an underlying printer issue.

If you are positive it gives no other code/number,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize if is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.