WesPCDr
WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician
21171802

I have a HP Photosmart printer 7520 that recently started

Customer Question

I have a HP Photosmart printer 7520 that recently started giving a paper jam error that appears to be a phantom error. I have tried all other suggested solutions I found online without success. I am guessing there is a faulty sensor or something. Is there anything that can be done. The printer was working fine before this problem. thanks
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I will be glad to help with the issue.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

A bad sensor would be difficult to troubleshoot. It would require taking the printer apart and testing the sensors with a multi-meter to find out if it's bad or not. Then order the replacement sensor if that is the problem. Try the below steps first to see if it will fix the issue.

Sometimes the rollers become dirty and cause the paper to slip. This can cause the paper not to pick up or even cause a paper jam because the sensors do not see the paper pass in a certain amount of time.

To fix the problem, unplug the printer power cable. Open the covers and remove any cartridges and look for loose paper. Use tweezers to pull the paper out or the eraser end of a pencil to move the rollers and get to the paper. Then use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.

Open each cover front, top, and back of the printer and look for pieces of paper in the rollers. Move the rollers with your fingers to clean and move any loose paper out as well.

Then plug the printer power back in try to print

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been through these steps already with no success. That is why I wondered about a sensor. Also I notice after going through the steps of shutting the printer off and cleaning, the ink carriage goes through some noisy functions before it reports the error again. The sounds it makes seems different than the usual sounds it makes when the printer is turned off and on.
Thanks
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. The problem seems to be bigger than expected.

The sound you hear is most likely a broken gear that will require a printer technician to fix the printer.

If it's under warranty, please have it repaired through warranty. If not, the bad part is that it will be cheaper to buy a new printer and get a warranty with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what it was afraid of. Do you know if there is a service manual for this printer. I think I could fix it if one was available.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I could not locate a service manual.

The process usually involves opening the main printer cover and then inspecting the gears for cracks / breaks.