Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

HP ENVY 7645 printer -Had a ..paper jam. Removed jam, but

Customer Question

HP ENVY 7645 printer -Had a ..paper jam. Removed jam, but now the message comes up " print carriage cannot move". What do I need to do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Where was the paper you pulled out stuck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the feed rollers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Open the machine as if you were going to change the ink. Then use a flashlight and look inside around the entire carriage path. Make sure no paper it stuck there. Let me know the results either way when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't see any paper or anything else that looks wrong.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

This error means the carriage that holds the ink cartridges can not move. Did you use a flashlight? It can be hard to see under and below without one. Can you move the carriage by hand at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a flashlight and yes the print head will move by hand.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Turn the machine off and with it off move the carriage back and forth 3-4 times across the bar. Then leave it in the middle and re-seat the ink cartridges. Turn it back on and the machine should detect the carriage in the middle and try to move it back to the home position. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Moved it all the way right and all the way left 3 times, then set it in center position. Hit the O.K. on error message and it sounded like it was moving, but it made a thunking sound and is now positioned a little right of center.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Is the error still there? The thunk is not a good sign, but can be normal if it only happens once while the error is going away. This should also normally be done with the machine off as I mentioned before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
error is still there. The machine was off when I moved the head by hand.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The error still being there is a very bad sign, did you re-seat the ink cartridges as I mentioned? If you did it normally means the carriage assembly needs to be replaced. How old is the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ink cartridges will not come all the way out. I just un snapped them, and then reseated them. The printer is less than a year old and I have experienced paper jams before and never had any kind of problems after they were removed.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

If it is a really bad jam or happens often it can damage the carriage assembly. Since it is less than a year old call this number: 1(###) ###-####Normally this will be covered under warranty. If you have any questions at all reply and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HP.