John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Photosmart 7520 series printer. It has worked just

Customer Question

I have a Photosmart 7520 series printer. It has worked just fine except just today it will not take any paper for printing whether I send it a document from my lap top or whether I try to photocopy something. It keeps telling me it is out of paper and it isn't. There is no paper jam. I have tried turning it on and off with no success.
Alos, I ma going to be away and so not using it for 4 months. The print cartridges are quite new. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to keep them from drying up.
Thanks for any help you can give. Cheryl
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Let me know that have you tried printing from the printer itself in stand alone mode

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent a document to the printer from my lap top.
I have put a document on the glass and tried to photocopy it.The paper would not feed for either. I am not sure if the latter is "stand alone" mode as I am not sure what that means.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes standalone mode would mean that you are attempting a print\scan from the printer buttons and not from computer

Please turn off printer and unplug power cord

keep the ON button pressed for 10 secs

remove all paper from printer

unplug printer usb cord from computer

wait for 2mins

plug in power cord and power on printer

once its on ready status connect the usb cable to computer

try a test print and insert a few sheets of paper only when you get an out of paper message

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done as you said but there is still the same problem with the printer screen reading it is out of paper. This is a wireless printer for the lap top. I do have it plugged in to the desk top and I did unplug that but it was the print job from the lap top was the issue anyway.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

please remove paper and blow some air in the feed tray and clean with a soft cloth and then try once more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have anything proper to blow air in the feed tray but I removed the back and cleaned as best as I could and then replaced it. It still will not feed any paper.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

it seems to be a problem with the pickup rollers

either they are worn out or not picking paper

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't appear that you can help me with this.
Any answer to the question about stopping the ink from drying out when the printer is not used for 4 months?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you need to keep the ink in air tight container

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

that should work

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work again

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

the printer would need a service as paper pickup rollers would need to be checked

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you have any questions