Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My printer hp 4620 was clean 4 time with warm water &

Customer Question

My printer hp 4620 was clean 4 time with warm water & doesn,t print the black.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the printer suffered a period of disuse (of the black ink at least), esp. if it was turned Off for over 10 days, there is a procedure that may help:

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell.
Your the second tec to answer me, and the black ink doesn,t print. The first tec cost me $23.00.
THank you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know there was another Expert advising you.

You only have to pay for the advice that helps you, I think.

I see the other Expert has advised cleaning the contacts. That's good advice in many cases.

But my advice also applies, if you now get only light black on the page... the sort of cleaning cycle is advise you to do, is done through the 'Maintenance' section of your printer's software (if you need guidance as to where to look for that, just let me know and I will provide instructions), and is good for 'light ink on the page' problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell.
Went and got new printer.
Thank you.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm glad to hear that, if it helps.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. I hope your experience was such that you will return at another time to this site, to ask another question or questions should you have need.