Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

A red light is on where it says status and unable to print.

Customer Question

What can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A red-light status indication, means that the printer is in need of something basic:

- paper in paper trays (and since you cannot be sure which, put paper in all trays, incl. the manual feed slot if there is one on your printer model)

- press any Cancel or Start button to try to bring the printer to an Online status.

- make sure there isn't excessive paper loaded in any tray (over 25 sheets can be too much in some printers.)

- clear the printer queue on the computer, turn the printer Off, restart the computer, turn the printer On again once the computer has restarted.

How old is the printer?