Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I'm doubting you can. I got a paper jam which was difficult

Customer Question

I'm doubting you can. I got a paper jam which was difficult to clear, then I've been getting all kinds of error messages: 5200 and 6000. When I got a page or 2 to print, it was all misaligned.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of your printer, and what specific code are you getting now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannon Pixma MX472
stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been fighting with this thing for over an hour, and now it decides to work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just finished a print job, then it paper jammed after
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Was it giving you a "C000" error (not 6000) previously?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, it was 6000. Now the jam happened again and the paper tore off way inside. I'm about done with this thing
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Well the initial 5200 error relates to a faulty printhead, the 6000 is a line feed failure.
Both can cause jams to happen, but the 6000 means it isn't feeding properly, which is why alignment is off and it keeps jamming as the paper isn't feeding in evenly.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You most likely have some worn/damaged feed rollers, or the feed motor is faulty. There are some steps we can take to dismantle and clean the printer, but considering the head error message as well, there may be multiple components damage and it probably isn't going to be worth the time, mess, and effort. This printer is nearly at the end of its maximum 3 year service life, and wouldn't be worth fixing. Repairs would run you $200-250, and you can buy a brand new one with a fresh warranty for $50-80.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, this is useless. Don't charge me for this...waste of time
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No, what?

I have no control over billing. You paid your fee to the site already, per the terms you agreed to.

In cases such as this I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical steps to proceed. There are more options to try if you wish, and I'm happy to discuss with you further, but given the details you provided that would not be likely to be productive and you are better off with replacement at this point.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.