Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have an MFC-9840CDW. All color cartridges are brandnew. I

Customer Question

I have an MFC-9840CDW. All color cartridges are brandnew. I am getting Error Message 32. I turn off and on, either quickly or after 1/2 hour. A few times it printed 1 page or 2 Nothing works.
Friedemann
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have you tried doing an uninstall of the printer's drivers on the computer, then a restart of the computer, and a full reinstall of the printer's drivers ?

That would be a thing to try, once, to make sure that the problem is not software.

Please tell me what Windows version (and System Type) you have on your computer, and I will instruct you in specific details as to how to do the uninstall-restart-reinstall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell, I am running the Brother MFC-9840CDW off a Mac Pro labtop, running OS 10.10.3
I have never uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, or any driver. Probably I'll need help
However, I don't have time this Saturday evening. Can we continue tomorrow, Sunday morning?
Friedemann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, continuing now would be fine.

Is the printer networked (wireless, or wired networking) ? or is it directly attached to the computer with a USB cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell, my Sunday got eaten up pretty fast. It's 3 pm in California. I now have one hour to communicate with you.
My Mac is both hard-wired to the printer and connected through the local network.
Where do I find the printer's driver? and how do I uninstall the existing one?
Friedemann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The driver is here:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc9840cdw_all&os=10006&dlid=dlf101418_000&flang=4&type3=10062

and, you may uninstall a printer's driver by going to the Printers list, selecting the printer, and using the - key to delete it from the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do tonight, probably around 7 pm our time. If you are still around then, I'll send you a report.
I don't take you offer to telephone, because I hardly ever have time to stay on doing one thing continuously. Better this way of back 'n forth emails
Friedemann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds fine Friedemann.

I will probably be awake (and online) then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as you said, deleted the Brother from the Printer list.
The old driver was version 4.5.0
I then selected "+" and installed whatever came up, using "auto select".
I turned off the printer and on again. When I try to print, the same error message comes back: error 32
I turned off the printer once more and on again: NOW IT WORKS. I'm able to print.
Hurrah.
However, I don't know how to set up SCAN. When I navigate through the instructions on the liquid crystal display, I come to the point, where I'm asked to enter my email address. BUT THERE IS NO ALPHABETICAL KEY PAD, only the same numerical pad like on any telephone, which has neither "dot" nor "@". How do I complete the SCAN so that I can scan in docs and send them to my email???
Thanks
Friedemann
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Please! read what I said:

- you remove the printer from the printers list using the - button.

- then you restart your computer. This is needed if the fix is to work.

- then you go to the link I gave you - here it is again:

and you download the 10.10 MAC OS X driver from it, save to disk, then when the download is finished, if it doesn't open automatically and start the install of the driver, you can start it by double-clicking on the saved downloaded file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi hi Sir.
Will do
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks... at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell, I am happy. You helped me greatly. But the Scan function still doesn't work. When I follow the instruction of the liquid crystal panel, I get to a point where I need to type in my email address. However, there is no alphabetical pad, only a numerical pad with those grouped letters like on any telephone. No "period" and no "@"
How can I finish the scan set-up?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

You can enter the letters using the number keys, something like this (the account is confused):

to enter 'a' press the 2 key once.

to enter '3' press the 3 key *four* times.

It's puzzling. But the documentation says that the keys produce in order:

lower-case letters

Upper-Case Letters

numbers

and as for '@' or ' . ', those may come last of all. Keep pressing one key repeatedly and see what it produces, I suggest... if it produces nothing that you want at length, backspace or left-arrow and re-enter it.