Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I am getting an error message: 'Paper jam.' Yet there

Customer Question

I am getting an error message: 'Paper jam.' Yet there doesn't seem to be a paper jam. I can find no paper to pull out. I have removed all the paper from the tray and searched under the copying space. I have turned off the power and used a flashlight to make sure I didn't miss anything. I looked at the manual and checked to make sure there are no foreign objects. In short I have tried everything I can think of and can find no paper jam. This has never happened before. What should I do? Thank you. Jerrold K Footlick.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you send me the full model number please, Jerrold?

Initially,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment, so that I cannot take the time to do all these steps immediately. How can I postpone this issue? Obviously I can not satisfied with the answer, but I do not consider it your fault. I would try to print out these complicated instructions so that I have them in front of me, but I cannot do it. When I get the chance, I would still have to collect tips and rubbing alcohol, among other things. What to do? jkf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the full model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried to move the carriage, and cannot make it move. The ribbon is there in the middle, but the carriage appears to be stuck on the right side (as I look at it). I don't want to pull too hard, and I cannot get any grip on it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to do so right now, you can bookmark/favorite this page to get back with me when you are ready to proceed.

These steps apply to all the pixma models, but it will be printed right on the front of the printer or near the display screen.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

If the carriage won't move, then that means the carriage drive is either jammed or defective (bad motor, etc)

Try sliding a metal ruler or a piece of thick card stock paper under it to see if you can move it over that way.

If it still won't move, it would confirm that the fault is in the carriage drive.