Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a PIXMA MP980 printer that I use with my MacBook. It

Customer Question

I have a PIXMA MP980 printer that I use with my MacBook. It has taken itself offline. How do I get it back on line? It's plugged in and still makes copies but does not talk to the computer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's your Mac OS X version, i.e., 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, etc.?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

It looks like you are not there. When you are available, please try a possible fix below:

1. If the printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, then please disconnect the printer's USB Cable from the computer for now.
    (If the printer is wireless, then disconnect the power cord(s) from the internet/wireless modem/router device(s) for about 5 minutes, then re-connect.)
  2. Turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from printer for a couple of minutes, then re-connect, then turn on.)
  3. Go to the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences, then open Print & Scan... (or Print & Fax.)
  4. Click on the Canon printer there, then click on the - (minus) button at the bottom left, and delete it for now.
  5. If the printer was connected to the computer with a USB cable, then re-connect the printer's USB cable from the printer to the computer.
  6. Click on the + (plus) button at the bottom left, and it should detect the Canon printer, then add it.
  7. Then check printing.
  8. If it still does not work and if the printer is wireless, then go to the Canon website below:
    https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp980/
    , then there, click on Drivers & Software, then click on Software below it, then download and run the item Canon PIXMA Wireless Setup Assistant (Mac) in order to re-connect the printer to wireless.
    , then use the + (plus) button again to add printer and check printing.
    ; more instructions for wireless setting if needed:
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART105338&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1447885319391

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.