Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

How to connect printer to computer

Customer Question

how to connect printer to computer
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your printer.

Try to uninstall the existing printer driver and reinsall it back you will get the option to select wifi select and you will get the choice to enter the new router ssid and password ***** you will be able to print and scan fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I find the printer driver?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

whats the Mac version?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
version 10.7.5 - can't upgrade it any longer so it is not the newest version
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Os X Lion is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS X Lion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also it never scanned on wi-fi before- only hard wired; I used to print from other computers but never scan; did not load the software into my other computers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Click here to download printer driver software.

you may try downloading the scanner software however i do not see that it will scan on wifi as canon has not provided full info regarding wifi scanning, you may try downloading the Canon PIXMA Wireless Setup Assistant (Mac) from the software section.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I just go to Applications to UN-install?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

1. Click the "Finder" icon on your screen's dock, and click the "Macintosh HD" icon located under the Devices section in the Finder's sidebar.

2. Double-click the "Library" icon to open the folder, and double-click the "Printers" folder.

3. Locate the printer's folder you wish to delete in the window, and drag the folder to the Trash icon on the screen's dock. Alternatively, click the folder you wish to delete, click "File" at the top of the screen and select "Move to Trash" from the drop-down menu.

4. Click "Finder" at the top of the screen, and select "Empty Trash" from the drop-down menu to remove the files from your hard drive. Click "Empty Trash" on the dialog box to confirm the action. Click "Secure Empty Trash" from the drop-down list to permanently delete the files.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Download and install the driver steps:

Click on the Apple menu and Choose System Preferences
Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & fax window, along with a + sign) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.

in case there is no printers in the list then , hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (plus sign that you see on the print & fax window, and not on the keyboard) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
After that click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & fax window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry can not located Mac HD under Finder
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

not a problem follow this Click on the Apple menu and Choose System Preferences

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that - deleted it; then reset it; added one that said canon mx880 but another said mx880 fax; said had to go to printer mfg for driver; so now I follow your instructions from above?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hit control key and added one that said MX880 series and it added it; the other said MX880 Series Fax but it won't add; got same instructions that had to go to Printer Manufacturer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also I went to that Canon page and they have recent update from 10/1/15 MX880 series Scanner Driver Ver. 17.7.1b (OS X)
do I need that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or is that too NEW? and it won't work with Lion?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

yes you would need the scanner driver to use the scanner as well. you will have to select the Mac version then only you can download and install the correct driver software.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 4 listed ; two of them appear to be for new O/S... these two:MP Navigator EX Ver. 4.1.4 (OS X)
MX880 series Mini Master Setup (OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8)
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

the one which says (OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8) should work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said it could not due to "Unmountable file systems"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this one is working MP Navigator EX Ver. 4.1.4 (OS X)
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

No Mountable File Systems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded MP Navigator EX ver. 4.1.4 (OS X); crossing fingers it works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to RESTART computer?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

after installation yes.

Open justanswer email and we will be reconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the Software? do I need to re-install that too?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

If you have not installed it then yes you will have to reinstall it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there 8 things to install...doing them all now
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

alright.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all are installed; going to shut down and restart thank you so much!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

please restart and check

let me know if you have any questions

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further