Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Printer seems to have issues with paper rollers. Every print

Customer Question

Printer seems to have issues with paper rollers. Every print causes paper jam. One page stuck in front and another in the rear
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Please print a blank page and let me know if it jams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it jams on blank page from word 2013
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

That is not a good sign, where did it jam? How old is the printer? Does the blank page feel warm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

No to which question I assume the last one? I need an answer to all 3 please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
printer is like 1 year old and used rarely. Never had any issues until yesterday. as I indicated in the first message, the page is jammed in front and also there is a 2nd page in the back, There does appear to be slight brown stripe where paper stops on the back sheet. The machine does not appear to be hot. I had it powered off until a few minutes ago. No was for the $20 call thing, site seems to push a lot of distracting messages
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but I need to opt out and open this to all experts.

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to ask several questions:

- is the printer under, or over, 1 year since its date of purchase? this could be quite important.

- what paper are you using in the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using 94 bright 20 lb paper. 8.5x11 office max multiuse paper. Seems to meet requirements. I do not know if it is over 1 year old. I think it is 1 year and 2 months. Total printed pages is less than 250. I have well over 50 percent of the paper left and it was 500 pages in the package
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So, did the paper currently in-use for printing, print OK in this printer originally ?

And, are you printing duplex or two-sided, or just ordinary one-sided printing ? have you been printing duplex or two-sided, recently before the problem first happened ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Duplex is off. Yes same paper I have been using all along. At this time the task at hand is to print one blank page. It jams every time currently
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I advise that, though it may not improve matters, it would be right to try a roller cleaning, in at least the areas of where paper stops in the printer. (It sounds as if it were at least two places.) Proceed as follows:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned rollers. See start of the thread wherebtjis was stated.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry - if you have already done so in the manner I specified, then my advice to do so is superfluous.

Your printer is out of warranty. It does not handle the proper type of paper well, and is not suffering from dirty aged feed rollers. (That is unlikely in this case, since the printer is not extensively used nor old.)

It may require repair, unfortunately. But one more thing to ask about is: how many sheets of paper are in the paper tray? roughly. If over 25 pages, try less than 25 pages, in case that has any effect. (It does, in a very few cases.)

Also riffle the paper to make sure it is not sticky.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried less and more paper. Basically I am an engineer by trade and was hoping for some info on this model that is not well published
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Since I have no source of that special information to offer, I apologize and Opt Out of this case, opening it to other Experts in this category.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think we are done here. Let's close it out as unresolved. Sorry fort the short leash, but I do not have the time to continue will the basic stuff I already tried
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I agree, that's fine.

(No response required.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I confirm that no further charges to my card will be made? I would prefer to have my info deleted from your system as well. Just asking because there are some scam sites out there that will sign you up for ongoing support
I do not want that.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I have no power whatever over charges, billing, subscription terms, etc.

For all issues of billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

They will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect that there is something stuck in the printer.

I know, not a brilliant analysis but it may still be correct.

Its not that old, the rollers should not have worn out. there isnt really anything else it could be.

Take a bright flashlight and check the paper path very carefully. turn it upside down and shake it

check the input tray and make sure that the paper is in it correctly and it clicks in to the proper position.

Yes they are simple obvious things. But there is no reason for this to be a complicated solution. Its a simple error. see where it is jamming and look at what might be stopping it at that point.