Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Im using refillable cartidges on my epson WP-4530. the

Customer Question

Im using refillable cartidges for years on my epson WP-4530. the Printer did an update and i suspect epson now cxan identify these cartridges and now i get the message "cannot recognize"
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

You are exactly correct. These refilled cartridges are specifically prohibited by epson, as they can damage the printer and will also void the warranty.

In many cases you can get by with putting in a set of genuine epson cartridges to clear the error, and then going back to refilled cartridges, though those carts may have to be replaced rather than continually refilling the same one. The printer recognizes what cartridges have been used, and will limit how many times it can be inserted into the printer.

You can get a bundle of the oem cartridges at costco, or online: http://amzn.to/1kpxDdx

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this does not resolve the issue. there is a way to override the printers update as i have been using these cartridges for two years. this requires technical knowledge as to the printers make up. Please forward this to an agent that has that know how.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

No, there is not a way to override it. This is something that, as you've already realized, was changed in the firmware.

There is not a setting or adjustment for that.

You weren't overriding anything previously, the old chips were simply compatible with the prior firmware.

This is a common occurrence, not just with epson. It is not a software adjustment or any other setting or override process at this point. It is something that the makers/sellers of the generic cartridges will have to adapt to - they will need to start using different chips that can communicate under the new firmware.

Epson does not make prior firmware versions available, and you cannot downgrade firmware once installed. Simply put, the update cannot be undone, though you can disable its ability to automatically update in the future, so that if/when this current issue is eventually resolved, it won't happen again.

I'm sorry that this does not resolve the issue. In cases such as this I can't guarantee a "fix" for all situations, I can only diagnose and explain the problem and tell you how to proceed given the situation. There is nothing physically wrong with the printer, the underlying cause of the problem is related to the use of unapproved cartridges. Using the proper epson cartridges will fix the problem.

My apologies again for the news,

Note: I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.