Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a brand new (never used) ip1800. I am following the

Customer Question

I have a brand new (never used) ip1800. I am following the Canon instructions. No. 5 says:"Press the power button. The printer will initialize. Wait until the POWER lamps stops flashing and remains lit green". On my printer, the yellow and green light keep flashing and never stop, even after several hours.
How can I initialize this printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That may be an error indication. Make sure you have put a fresh cartridge into the printer - if you have no fresh cartridge, make sure you have taken the stale one in it out, then put it back in, to re-seat the cartridge contacts.

Make sure the paper is loaded into the printer. Make sure the Canon instructions have been followed to the letter, nothing left out.

After that, well, you have a defective printer, I think. That sort of error, in a new printer, is a very bad sign that the printer has *something* wrong with it that means it isn't worth keeping. Return it to the store or vendor promptly, for exchange for another, working, printer of the same type or of equivalent value.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot put any ink cartridge into the printer because the print head does not move. I have put paper in the printer but that did not help. Is it possible there is a loose wire someplace? Now, the green light is flashing put the yellow one is not. Does this help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh...only the green light was flashing because I had the "lid" up. When I put it back down, the green light flashes once and then the yellow light flashes 7 times.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That definitely is an error code.

Let me look it up... (will post again shortly...)

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Canon revised its database to be hard to search, so it took some time.

Seven flashes is an error code that generally means 'wrong ink cartridge' and for your printer specifically means 'FINE ink cartridge not installed in correct position.'

If you cannot install an ink cartridge, I agree that you don't even have to try to. But please go through the setup instructions from the beginning, step-by-step, just once more. If the result is the exact same error and the exact same failure of the carriage to move into accessible position, then you have a defective printer and need to return it promptly for an exchange, to the vendor or store that sold it to you, before the return-exchange period runs out.