Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

EPSON WP-4540 The printer will not print. Ink levels are OK,

Customer Question

EPSON WP-4540
The printer will not print. Ink levels are OK, have cleaned print heads twice, tried printing test pages, got just a small square with pale blue wavy lines. Tried copying - get a blank sheet. Can I do anything or do I have to ditch the printer?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

Repeat the cleaning, up to 5 times total. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2010 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more, and hinders my ability to respond. Please reply back here.