John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Printer give "out of paper" message each time I try to print

Customer Question

Printer give "out of paper" message each time I try to print even though paper tray is full. This has been going on since I first bought it. I have contacted tech support at least three times without a successful fix.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

If you try to make a copy from the printer itself, does it work? Let's say you want to copy your driver's license for example...

Also, have you had any paper jam recently? Or changed the ink cartridges and then the issue started?

And what's your OS? (go to whatsmyos.com to find out)

Thanks

JOHN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7 and I get the same message when making a copy. No paper jams. First bought the printer more than a year ago. Started happening shortly after purchase. Happened more frequently and thought I'd try to resolve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What gives? I responded to your question for more information and heard no more from you!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It looks like John has not replied in a while so I am going to take over. Is this error showing on the printer or the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message on the printer: "Out of Paper, Pull out paper tray, adjust width guides and select OK. HP recommends ColorLok papers for best printing results." My choices are then to select Cancel or Continue. Continue is actually OK. A similar message usually flashes on the screen and disappears once I select OK. This happens regardless of whether the paper tray is full or empty or anything in between.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A similar message usually flashes on the COMPUTER screen and disappears once I select OK.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me exactly what the computer message says? Have you tried cleaning the machine yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message on the computer screen says, "Out of Paper. The printer is out of paper. Load paper in the appropriate paper tray. Press the OK button below the OK or Resume button on the printer when ready. To cancel the print job, press the Cancel (X) button on the printer or click Cancel Print."I have cleaned the rollers several times; doesn't seem to help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried cleaning them manually with canned air duster or a compressor yet? The built in cleaning sometimes is not enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

That is not good. How old is the machine? Did you get an extended warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18 months or so. No extended warranty.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Darn, the factory warranty only lasts a year. I assume you already checked for jams around the carriage? (A jam behind it can cause this error blocking the rollers) Unfortunately from everything you are telling me to fix this the feed assembly would need to be replaced. Without a warranty this can be expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check for a jam. I've done it before though. I'll try again. But like I said, once it gives me the out of paper message, I do nothing but press the OK button, indicating I've loaded with paper (but I haven't) and it prints. A actual jam that would cause a out of paper message would continue to give the message until James is cleared, correct?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Not if the jam is tiny which is why I suggested a flashlight before. Tiny jams can be very hard to see.