John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Freddy, I have a brother HL-2140 laser, when I press the

Customer Question

Hi Freddy, I have a brother HL-2140 laser, when I press the test switch inside the left side, it prints a perfect, If I hold down the blue button for 3 second I get a great test print out. When I try to print from the computer I get an error light, it sounds like it's going to work but stops.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

How is it connected to the computer? Does the computer show an error message when this happens? When you see the error light what do the other lights do and does the error blink?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry it's been very busy, I forgot to tell you that the computer is running windows Vista Premium 32 bit. Yes the error light was blinking, the hookup is USB, the computer sees the printer but does not respond to it. Note: There is another USB printer on computer, a Cannon inkjet, works great. I just uninstalled the software for the printer. When reloading the software from the original CD, about 1/2 way through the install I got a message window that said The Arguments are invalid. I closed the window, the software finished loading. Now I select the Brother, try to print and the cannon displays as the only printer in use. The computer is not seeing the brother. I hope this helps and makes sense. I'm a day sleeper and going to bed now 08:16 am. I'll check e-mail when I'm awake. Paul
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

You can take all the time you need to get back to me. What about the other lights on the machine? The error light blinking already rules out any possible software issue. There should be 4 lights, are any of the others on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Freddy M.,
No there is no other lights on. I noticed that when the software is loaded and working correctly? .I hit print and I hear the printer come on "motors come on", it sounds like it's going to print, rollers on the top tray come on, 5 to 10 sec. later it goes off. No failure to print warning, no anything!. Just no print. Hope this helps Paul.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Please follow all the steps here even if you have before:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2140_all&faqid=faq00000026_015

Then press and hold the Go button for 30 seconds. Next if the same thing happens try these steps:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2140_all&faqid=faq00000402_006

Let me know the results when you can.