John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon PIXMA MX 492. I just installed a new black

Customer Question

I have a Canon PIXMA MX 492. I just installed a new black ink cartridge. At first it would not print. It now prints faintly. How do I do a proper print alignment?
***@******.***
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. If you need a part you are still required to pay. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. An alignment would not fix this it is meant for things like the characters being out of place or ghosting. Have you tried cleaning it by hand yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a new machine and I got a message that a print alignment was needed with the new cartridge. I was not able to follow the on screen instructions. No new part is needed.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

It being new does not change the fact you may need a part. You said "At first it would not print. It now prints faintly." this is caused by a part inside your printer called the print head. The only thing it being new means is that it would be covered under warranty if you end up needing one. As I mentioned before an alignment is not going to fix this. So, have you tried cleaning it yet?