VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Canon MG5220, receiving a message "Incompatible device

Customer Question

Canon MG5220, receiving a message "Incompatible device detected. Remove the device." I have nothing plugged into the printer. What do i do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry for the issue, I am here to assist in this issues resolution.

Please follow the instructions below:

This is the solution as per Canon. Please Chime in and let me know of your results

• Check the device connected to the Direct Print Port. Printing photos directly is possible with a PictBridge compliant device or the optional Bluetooth Unit BU-30, or a USB flash drive. Click here for additional information.

• A communication time out occurs if an operation takes too long or if it takes too much time to send data. This may cancel printing. In such cases, disconnect and reconnect the USB cable.

When printing from a PictBridge compliant device, depending on the model or brand of your device, you may have to select a PictBridge compliant print mode on the device before connecting it to the machine. You may also have to turn on your device or select Play mode manually after connecting the device to the machine. Click here for additional information. Perform necessary operations before connecting your device referring to its instruction manual.
    If the error is still not resolved, check if you can print another photograph.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps I don't understand. I disconnected and reconnect the USB cable which goes directly into the computer and I still receive the same message. I did not connect a camara to the printer. I put a photo card in the printer and after printing pictures I started receiving this message.

Remove the CARD and restart the PC and the Printer. Then lat me know of your results..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted the PC and the printer but still receiving the message.

Did you remove the card from the Printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please try the steps below on the Printer:

turn off the printer.

then unplug from the power supply for 15 minutes as well as removing any USB cable if applicable.
Press and hold the resume button and click and hold the power button.
While continuing to hold the power button, release the resume button.
Still holding the power button, click the resume button 2 more times.
Release both buttons.
Click the resume button 4 more times.
Turn the power off then on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the resume button?

It should be on the right side or is that with in the Menu. If not let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm sorry it is not on the right side.

OK.. Please unplug the printer from its power cord and from the PC. Leave it powered off for 45 Minutes. Then reconnect and attempt to print...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to go work. Ok it was more like 4 hours, then I reconnected the printer to the PC and power. Requesedt a print job then a pop up message on the monitor said "digital camera or device that is not supported by the direct printing function is connected to the direct print port. disconnect the cable from the direct print port. If the device is connected via a USB hub, unplug the USB hub and then connect the device directly to the direct print port" with the error message on the printer stating "incompatible device detected. remove the device", I don't have anything plugged in.

OK, so there is no memory card plugged into the Printer? Also, please reboot and remove all USB devices from your PC while the PC is OFF. Then when you boot up again, only connect the Printer and let me know what happens....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, ok there is no memory card in the printer and I removed all USB devices from the PC and then booted up the PC with only the printer plugged in and I recieved the same message.

Ok, where is the closest Major City nearest you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What exactly do you mean by major city? San Francisco 4 hours, Safeway or Ukiah 2 hours.

You are in the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California, north of San Francisco

OK, please take your Printer to a Staples. They are able to fix the error that keeps occurring. Reset did not work as it should have. If they can resolve the issue, it will take less then an hour for them to fix it.

Sorry that I could not do more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you very much for trying to help.

You are most welcome.