Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

I can not get windows 8.1 to recognize the installed drivers

Customer Question

I can not get windows 8.1 to recognize the installed drivers for my mf4370dn
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. How did you install the drivers and where did you get them from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from the canon driver and software sight. I agreed to the terms than downloaded and ran the programs it was the driver and another one called toolbox
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure they installed and did not only extract?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

.Are you sure they installed and did not only extract?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not sure I have tried it several times and it has stated that the programs exist and do i wish to overwrite them which i did at least twice
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

How is the printer connected to the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
usb cable and when i connect or disconnect i get tones indicating it is being recognized but no prompt appears
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Open the control panel and go into printers and devices.

Choose the add printer option near the top.

In the window that opens click on local printer.

If asked for a port do not use LPT1 choose usb001 virtual printer port.

Then in the next window click windows update near the bottom and wait for it to update.

On the left click on canon, then on the right click on your machine.

If it is not there, click on have disk and then point it to the download you got from the canon site.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in my device and printer section it shows the printer as an option but when i click add printer it says no printer found so i do not have the local printer option
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

It is after it says no printer found you should have an option to manually add it.

If it is already in the devices and printer section though it is installed, does it say offline?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but when i try and print something it does not come up as an option in my printer selestion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also prior to this it was only in the unspecified section of devices and printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok that is not actually installed then, please repeat the steps I gave you before. After it says it does not detect a printer is when you should be able to manually add one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now in the selection after hitting print but is reading error as its status I think you solved the connection issue thank you
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if it is an error state, you will want to remove all copies and delete them from the device/printer area.

Restart your computer and do the same thing you just did, do not test yet restart one more time instead.

You should then hopefully be able to print. You can get back to me by going to justanswer.com and looking under my questions.