John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have an HP C410b all in one Photosmart Premium printer. on

Customer Question

I have an HP C410b all in one Photosmart Premium printer. on double-sided printing it stops after first sheet, promptly reboots then tells me I have non-HP cartridges installed <> then says I should have used on/off button to shut down.
I have changed the cartridges to new/full ones (still non-HP) and problem persists.
NB: I have used non-HP for some time without any problem...
Regards, Densil
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you with your question today. I am John, I will do my very best to help you solve this problem.

Unfortunately not all generic inks are the same, some are detected by the printer as not original, even if you are using the same non-generic brand you always used. In this case you can return it for a full refund and they would need to give you new ones for free.

However, sometimes (not always) there are workarounds. In order to help you better, please let me know the exact error message, the exact wording please.

Thank you.

JOHN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So9rry for delay, but I have had to go through a cycle of reprinting to get messages requested.
Here is sequence of my experience:-
1. Selected print from MS Excel - 7 pages as double-seided output.
2. Second sheet stops as like ink drying proves, but screen print display screen shows HP logo and printing stops and a reboot appears to take place.
3. Display then changes to :- Non-HP Cartridges.; displays examples of colours on second line: Non-HP cartridges installed 3rd line. 'Continue' in blue at bottom right of display.
4. While I was writing all this down, the printer started to pring again from page one and stopped as before. However, this time I was able to press the 'Continue' button and the display gave the following error message. "To avoid damage use the On button to shut down. Do not use outlet to shut down". Line 2 says "Press OK"
5. Printer restarts and stops again....
NB: While I have been typing this epistle to you the printer has restarted several times and the 7 page document has eventually completed.Regards,Densil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for boxing glove typing but I think you get the drift...
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

No problem... please give me a moment while I review your text

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I see.. please try to wipe the contacts on the cartridges, then insert them back, and try to print. If you still get the same issue, then unfortunately the cartridges are not compatible with your printer.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Please keep me posted

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned ALL the colours contacts. Started printer again and I'm afraid the same problems reoccurred.....
Does this mean I shall have to go back to HP cartridges or demand another set of compatibles?
Densil
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I would try with another brand of refills, if no luck, then you should go back to HP cartridges. I know they are expensive though

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

However you can find them cheaper at:

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

please give me a moment

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Or try to see the price at Costco or Sams Club

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my work, please rate me positively, that's the only way for me to be paid by my employer, it won't cost you any additional money. Remember that the feedback you left here is not about Brother or this website, it is about my work in trying to help you solve your issue.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

HP I meant

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need more assistance by using the reply box below, I'm happy to discuss further. :)

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I will come back in 30 minutes.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. Are you available to do a remote session?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that wasn't meant for you. Have a great day!