John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

When trying to connect MFC-9840CDW to wireless network

Customer Question

When trying to connect MFC-9840CDW to wireless network continue to get error message connection NG. Recently moved printer but was connected to same network before move.
HELP
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean you've used the option Network reset (or Factory reset) on the printer and it did not work?

Does it ask for a wi-fi/wireless password/key/passphrase when you connect the printer to your wi-fi/wireless network name? If yes, do you know how to check / confirm your Wi-Fi/wireless password/key?

What is the brand/model of your Internet/wireless modem/router device? Are you using the same modem/router device? Or are you using a new modem/router device?

Do you have a laptop/wireless computer that is currently able to connected via wireless? If so, does it have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, or Mac?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Searches for ssid. Offers Wireless network as one. When I accept it attempts to connect then gives error message at bottom of screen "connection NG". Router is Linksys E1500. Also have Hawking 300N extender on network. These are same devices used at old location. Have laptop connected to network as well asPC. Laptop runs Windows 7 computer runs XP.

Please disconnect power cords from linksys and hawking devices for a few minutes, then reconnect

, then on the printer, are you able to go to the network reset or factory reset? If yes, can you reset it, then try again?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same results. connection NG. Don't know if this means anything but we also have Infinity wifi. Linksys router is connected to Infinity router for internet. Infinity shows up as ssid available in printer and when I tried to connect it to printer it connected. Not sure what this means.

Don't connect to infinity or xfinity. Do you mean xfinity or infinity? What's the brand/model of the internet modem you have? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet modem is AARIS SB6141 My router is connected to xfinity router Netgear security router.

Can you connect the printer to the Netgear router's wireless network name? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not unless its wireless name is ***** ***** is what I was able to connect to.

Is the netgear router connected to the modem Arris SB6141? What's the model of the netgear router? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Netgear N150 Router WNR1000 This is supplied by Comcast for the security system. Net gear is connected to modem and my router is connected to netgear.

Disconnect power cord from netgear for a few minutes, then reconnect, then wait a bit, then on the printer (and laptop/wireless computer/wireless device) should see the netgear's wireless network name. Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Label on router says not to disconnect from power as this will disconnect security system. Name may be showing as ssid on printer but have no idea what it would be.

What are the names you see on computer and/or printer? Is there any name or SSID showing at the back/bottom of the netgear? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no SSID on Netgear. SSID's shown are my two Fast Maple and Hawking Extender along with Xfinitywifi..

So the printer cannot connect to either of your two network names? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. My phone, laptop,and PC all connect to them.

Did you make any change to the settings on the linksys and/or hawkin? Can you log in the linksys and/or hawkin and make sure the wireless security setting is set to Mixed / WPA/WPA2, and encryption type isTKIP+AES? Then check. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Must get off now. How can I connect with you tomorrow?

Yes, you can always get back to me via the link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we back online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In response to your last question the setting are all correct on linksys.

Can you update the router's firmware and check?

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148342

If needed, can you change the Channel number to something else and check, like 6 or 1 or 11 etc.?

If needed, can you test wireless without security?

And/or can you use the printer wireless but with the printer connected to the Linksys router with an Ethernet/network cable?

Please let me know. Thank you.