Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I cannot print wireless anymore. It did work while but now

Customer Question

I cannot print wireless anymore. It did work for a while but now it stopped. I get a message that says no printer can be found. I get this same message from the Epson iPad app. I have tried the following:
1. Moved router closer to printer
2. Rebooted all my devices including my laptop and the router and in different sequences.
3. Executed the wireless setup on the printer itself. The report says everything is working except that there is also a asterisk with a note that says router/access point channel conflict has been detected.
4. Used my devices in close proximity to the printer.
The model I have is The Multi-function 630. I have only had it a few months.
My internet connection is through Xfinity.
I can print with USB.
I also cannot scan. I get a message that it's not set up but during my original setup I did set it it all up. I cannot scan to email either. On the network check report it says both Google connect and Epson connect are disconnected.
Please help me! I rely heavily on the wireless function and scan.
Maureen Rowland
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the crucial thing about the case might be the error message about the router/access point channel conflict.

Wireless transmission and reception (WiFi) has 'channels'. This is a setting on the router's setup, and also perhaps on your device or devices in the WiFi settings.

If channel conflict occurs, either you added a new WiFi device with the wrong channel and it is making waves... radio waves... that interfere with communication, or - more likely - the router has spontaneously changed to the wrong channel, diminishing or stopping communication.

1. Check the channel settings on your device incl. laptop, first, and make sure they agree on a channel. Channel 6 is usual, I think. Or Channel 11.

2. go into your router's admin setup utility, and set the Channel for the WiFi, there, to match.

That will (with perhaps a total shut-down and turn-Off of all devices, for 5 minutes all together, then powering the router On and letting it initialize for 2 minutes, then turning On the other devices) probably solve the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the channel settings on my devices and router and how do I change them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is absolutely nothing on my iPad that has anything to do with channels. My Samsung Galaxy S4 has no setting for a channel.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The router really is where the change would be needed, I think.

WiFi channel may be an obscure setting on some handhelds. But *if* the WiFi channel might not be changed on them, then it must be set to a standard channel value, and the selection on the router must have changed, and thus the channel on the router needs be changed back.

Open a web browser on your computer.

Enter the IP address of your local router in the Address field and press the RETURN key.

You should get a popup prompt for username and password. This is normal when accessing a router's settings... for username, enter

admin

and for the password... whatever the admin password ***** ***** to. If it is set to a default value, such as

password

or

admin

or just a blank, no characters... then that explains your problem: with a default password, anyone within range of your router (several hundred yards theoretically) could access the router's settings and change them. In any case, log in to

admin

and whatever password ***** have, or that works, then go into the WiFi settings, note the channel setting, and set it to 11 (or 6 perhaps.) Those are most likely to work best and be fastest, and if the setting is anything else, it has most likely been meddled with.

IF that restores your wireless communications with all devices, once you have set it that way and Saved the changed setting, please go back to the admin setup of your router, and change the password (the 'admin' password, NOT the wireless password ***** passphrase or encryption key... the distinction is important.) That way your router settings cannot be changed by any stranger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put the IP address in Chrome address bar and hit enter I get a message that the webpage is not available. It then says: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.And I never set a password ***** the router so when the pop up menu asks, what should I enter? Leave blank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My firewall is turned off for private network.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If you never set a password ***** the router, then it should be a username of

admin

and a password *****

admin

or

password

or just blank, no characters.

But if the connection is being refused, then you cannot enter any password ***** doubt! So, determine the IP Address of the router for sure by opening a

Command Prompt

and entering the command

ipconfig

and pressing the RETURN key, once. Read off the Default Gateway address, and that is the address of your router.

Enter that address in your address bar. Try it.