Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I am using the Artisan 1430. When I print a 5x 7 the colors

Customer Question

I am using the Artisan 1430 for photographs. When I print a 5x 7 the colors are fine. But when I print and 8 1/2 x 11 the blues (lake water) are very color distorted - the blues are washed out and have a strong dark red tone. I used the same paper on an Canon and the blues were fine.
Why are they so distorted on the 8 1/2 by 11??
Thank you ,
Bill Webb
***@******.***
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Paper stock can be important to ink performance in the printing of photographs on an inkjet-type printer. Even if that turns out not to be the problem here, it is a possible thing to check on.

Paper that works with Canon ink on a Canon printer, is actually not guaranteed to work on an Epson printer with Epson ink.

So the questions are:

1. if you print a 5 x 7 photo on the Epson printer, the colors are OK. What paper stock is used for 5 x 7 prints?

and

2. what paper stock is used for the 8 1/2 x 11 inch photo printouts ? (on the Epson printer, of course, though it sounds as if it were the same stock on both printers.)

Also worth checking on: What program are you printing from?

and,

Are you changing from one program to another program, when printing to 8 1/2 x 11, versus printing to 5 x 7.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell,
The 8 1/2 x 11 paper is HP Premium Plus Photo paper. I do not know whose glossy paper I am using for the 5 x7. I will get some Epson 8 1/2 x 11 and see how that works (still badly distorted colors?)
The colors are the same - very bad blues - when I use staples Photo Supreme matte.I am printing from Photoshop. It does not matter if I use Photoshop Manages Color or Printer Manages color.The colors are clear and bright on the camera's monitor (Canon T3i) but are dull on the compute monitor and on the prints (on the Artisan and the Canon 6220).It seems strange that the paper would make such a big difference - between the 5 x 7 and the 8 1/2 x11 - on the Artisan printer but what else could it be? I cut an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet down to 5 x7 and it had the same color distortions. A "regular" 5 x 7 was OK with the same settings. SO it looks like the paper - but that paper works fine in the Canon printer. I will have to wait until I get the Epson paper to see if that is the problem.Can I continue this discussion after I get the Epson paper without additional billing? How?Regards,
Bill
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Using HP paper with Epson inks may produce dubious results.

I rather suspect that the 5 x 7 paper is actually designed for or compatible with (and on the compatibility list for your printer's paper stock) ...your Epson printer.

As for colors being right on a camera's monitor but not on the computer... that is a matter of color profile (in the 1980s it might have been a matter of sheer incapacity to 'render' colors with complete accuracy, but that stage of imperfect equipment is long past and bygone.)

Color profiles are appropriate for printers, or for monitors. The *right* color profile is the one where the monitor colors match the printed-out colors, pretty much and in summary.

Also it depends upon whether you are viewing the pictures in an Adobe application. Adobe applications for graphic images and such, have their own peculiar tweaks, settings, and elaborations. If you want to see how your 'monitor' renders a picture, view the picture file in MS Paint

(All Programs - Accessories - Paint)

which has no color profile nor tweaks nor settings and will show you how Windows, alone, and its color profile, will render the image.

Epson inkjet ink isn't the same as Canon inkjet ink, and so they require papers appropriate for their chemical composition (including viscosity, drying time, and any binary change in colors upon drying, and several other aspects too.)

A cut-down sheet of the wrong paper will have the same problem. Esp. if it *is* the paper stock type and quality that is the problem.

This discussion can be continued later. Just come back to the page for your question (bookmark it if you like, that's a convenient way of making sure you rejoin the case.)

Billing is not something I have control over... but coming back to the same question will prevent additional charge for an additional question. Let's continue this question / discussion instead, on this page.

Thanks.