Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a canon c3380i multifunction network printer/copier

Customer Question

I have a canon c3380i multifunction network printer/copier with a print job problem. There are 3 trays that can be assigned through the menu for copy, print, mail & fax receive. The default for copy is Tray A, default for print is Tray B & default for everything else is Tray C. The copy function works flawlessly. Problem is whenever I send a print job from one of our Mac computers through the network to the printer. Regardless of whatever tray designation I select from the printer menu, the printer sends the print job to Tray C without printing anything. I have selected every tray designation & tray priority options to no avail. The printer does not print anything and only sends print jobs to Tray C without printing? What to do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think the problem is likely to be either settings or software (and if software, likely the printer driver installed) on the Mac computer(s).

Please tell me how long the problem has been showing up with printing, and whether it has worked fine before this with these same computers. (Depending upon your answers on these two points, it might be one or another problem in one or another place.)

(*If* the problem has not showed up until today or very recently, I advise you to treat it this way:

1. unplug the printer, while it is On, suddenly.

2. leave it unplugged, and meanwhile, restart *all* the computers (that print to it.)

3. leave it unplugged from power, for at least 1 hour or so (roughly that much time.)

4. Turn it Off if the power switch is still 'On', then plug it in again to the power, turn it On if necessary.

Try it again and see how it goes. If it is producing blank sheets to Tray C when printed to from computers, and is only doing this recently or only today, then this may well help.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Russell,
Thanks for the suggestions. I performed all of them, in the sequence and manner you directed. Left the printer unplugged and power off for over 2 hrs. Shut my desktop Mac off & then plugged in the printer and turned the power switch back on. Started up my desktop Mac. Sent an MS Word document to the c3380i printer. No change in malfunction. Doc. failed to print and was routed to tray C, thereby causing a print jam, just like has happened over the last few weeks when the problem began. I then sent different print jobs from 2 office Mac computers on the network, each with different, but functional Canon print drivers. Same result. I then went to Canon's Printer Driver web site and downloaded the very latest print driver dated Feb. 9, 2015. I then deleted the driver I had been using and installed the new one: "iR c2880/c3380 UFR II (US)". Sent another print job just like before, but with the new printer driver. Same result. What's next?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I see. I'm sorry there has been no improvement.

Try this - the logical next step:

Press MENU on the printer until Resets Menu appears,

Then select the Restore Factory Reset option and execute it. (If there is not exactly that option, look for 'Factory Reset', and execute that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Selected Reset Factory Default. Sent print job. No Change. Still fails to print and sends to tray C & jams. What next?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What paper size are Tray A and Tray B loaded with?

Pull out, remove and reload in each tray (except C, leave that one alone for now.)

At this point I am thinking either you have a printer problem requiring servicing, or an obscure setting... probably on the printer... and that admittedly seems much less likely at this point.

However the problem with the printer, if that's what and where it is, might be aided by a bit of tweaking, reloading and reseating. It's worth a try.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tray A, B & C are output trays. Tray 1 thru 4 are paper trays. I have pulled out all 4 paper trays, checked their sensors & reloaded all the paper. No change. Still no printing and print jobs routed to Tray C with the usual jam. Thanks for trying to help Russell, but, at this point, I need to request a refund of the $26.00.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

For all issues of charges, refunds, billing, payment, subscription terms and status, etc., I have no power over such matters and I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com, which may be contacted through:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

They will no doubt address your concern, if you contact them, with reasonable promptness.