Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Canon PIXMA iP6000D. It is only printing blank

Customer Question

I have a Canon PIXMA iP6000D. It is only printing blank pages despite me checking everything. It has been cleaned, ink levels checked, reinstalled etc. etc. Sounds normal, prints when asked but no data being relayed from computer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2005 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85 (though parts are long discontinued, and difficult to find); if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Nathan I was called away. I had previously done all of the above. Could you please tell me why my credit card has been debited 3 times and for what.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

You should have been debited just once (possibly twice), with an initial $5 deposit to post your question, and then for the remainder of the agreed upon fee (both should have been disclosed and made clear during the sign up and posting process) upon corresponding with the expert (me).

You can repeat the cleaning a few more times, it won't do any harm, but as I've mentioned you have a 10 year old printer there that has served its life many times over and there would be no reasonable expectation of resolving the issue at this point. Replacement is really the only feasible option here.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”, even though the news was not. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1Md4aNC

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why was I debited as you say "possibly twice"? I was debited $5.00 (which I agreed to), then $29.95 and $27.00. I DID not agree to both of these payments. The initial quote was $32.00. This is quite fraudulent and I will be following the correct procedures to expose same.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

What I meant was that you should have had the initial 5, and the remainder/balance separately which would be the 2nd. I'm not sure what the other would be, unless it perhaps didn't go through the first time. You should have no more than the 32 total overall.

I'm an independent tech, I have no access to or control over billing matters, but you may simply contact customer service via the Help link after clicking Account at the top of the page here.

If you were double billed in error I'm sure they'll quickly resolve it. The more likely issue is that it was a temporary authorization/hold from your bank and that one of those charges will cancel automatically in a few days, which is a very common process for online merchant services.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Again though, I'm just the tech here. My concern is whether I've addressed your question such that you understand and accept the answer I've provided.

The site's customer service folks will happily address any billing concerns you may have and resolve any problems there.

If you have any further questions about the printer, or need more information, just let me know and I'm happy to advise further.

To clarify a bit about how the site works: You would have paid the agreed upon 32 quoted fee to post your question and correspond with me.

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.